What swicthes are these

55PACKARD

I know they have something to do with the level ride but why do i have 2 one is a little black switch the other is chrome...i know the chrome when i turn it on rasies the back end up if i turn it back the other way the car goes does again only in the rear though..So what is the black switch and which way is that suposed to stay toward the driver's door or the passenger's door?

Have to think about that awhile since I rewired both my TL equipped cars with a manual switch. I believe the manual (owners manual) should show which way the switch should be turned, but I only recall one switch originally just to disengage the automatic function and I'm thinking it was the little black switch. I believe some cars had some sort of extra switch under the dash for electric door lock? I'm sure someone will come up with the answer.

Guest Randy Berger

The small black plastic switch turns on/off the TL ride. It is described in the owners manual - toward the center of car is on, toward the drivers door is off.

It sounds like someone installed a manual override to activate the TL system and make it go either up or down. Packard had such an accessory kit in 1956 so you could raise the rear of the car and not drag the bumper going up a steep driveway, etc. The switch and wiring harness are listed in the parts book and described in the Service Counselors. If it is a Packard switch it is made by COLE and is a three-position switch. Others have used antenna switches and swear the car was delivered that way (particularly on Caribbeans) - I doubt that the factory did it. Some dealers maybe.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Thanks guys the black switch is toward the drivers door so it must be off.The othe switch is chrome and only has 2 postions up or down...so i guess i have to live with the car goind dwon in the front when i hit my brakes and then the back stays up high in the back. I hate having to then hit the switch to lower the rear down again its like a see saw up down up down HOW can i keep it frokm doing this i jusy want the car to sit level.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(snip)...so i guess i have to live with the car goind dwon in the front when i hit my brakes and then the back stays up high in the back. I hate having to then hit the switch to lower the rear down again its like a see saw up down up down HOW can i keep it frokm doing this i jusy want the car to sit level..... </div></div>

Two things to consider:

(1) Your T-L Packard should stop on the level and NOT nose-dive (rear up). If the rear brakes are working well, the rear end will be pulled down by the "anti-squat" geometry of the rear suspension's torque arms upon braking. Likewise, upon acceleration, the rear end will rise somewhat.

(2) The front and/or rear T-L bar pivots have not been lubricated. The front and rear of your T-L Packard should move up and down freely and easily, returning to the same level as before. Use a manual lube gun and plenty of grease. The bearings are identified as 15.963 (each side, front) and 15.981 (each side, rear) in this diagram:

Torsion-Level parts, exploded view

Just in case you were wondering, you don't have to take anything apart. Just get under the car and spritz the zerk (grease) fittings.

Guest Randy Berger

Craig gives good advice. You need to lube these fittings. You really need to lube the whole chassis if the TL components need grease. Kingpins, tierods, steering - every fitting (and there are a lot of them) on this auto. Adjust your rear brakes and after the lube job let us know how things are working. I lube mine completely at LEAST once a year.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest imported_PackardV8

i have the same trouble with the 56 Executive. Even backing up slowly and putting on the brakes will squat the rear of the car. Slightly harder than mederate braking going forward will squat the front and lift the rear. The brakes are adjusted and the suspension is greased at least every 2K miles. If the rear brakes were out of adjustment then i doubt that it would squat when braking in reverse. Its no big deal to me other than i really do not like the front end dive on hard braking when moving forward and is really not a problem at speeds under 30 mph.

Guest imported_PackardV8

cheque the caster adjustment on the front wheels. Mine had way too much negative caster which also caused the car to hunt unless i lowered the rear of the car. I have noticed that the front end pitching has lessened since i set the caster but i think it still needs a little more adjustment.