Charging problem Model G

Just read Rodger Harley's article on 3-brush generators in the Dodge Brothers Club News. Great timing as I am having problems with my generator (1921 DB Touring). Current condition is that it blows the shunt fuse and does not charge. There appears to be some sparking going on when turned over. I have removed 2 brushes and have clean them but not luck. The brushes now "sing" a bit more, but still does not charge. The generator was working last year I have did not do any "maintenance" that would have caused a problem.

Questions:

1. What is the probable cause of no charge and blown fuse?

2. Is it necessary to remove the generator to fully inspect and remove all brushes?

3. Can the brush closest to the block be removed without removing the generator?

4. Is it difficult to remove the generator (any special concerns for reassembly)?

5. Any recommendations where I can purchase a new brushes for the generator?

6. What are the dimensions of a new brush (length)?

7. Are there any concerns if I operate the car without the shunt fuse in place. I plan on driving only in daylight hours and only short distances.

I look forward to hearing from anyone that has had to deal with similar charging problems.

Rich :confused

RICH:

Driving with out the generator is not a problem. Just remember that you are running off the battery.

As for removing the third brush near the block that too is not a problem. The generator can be rotated in its eccentric bushing so that that brush is at the top of the generator.

To do this loosen both the band clamp and wedges on the outside of the block around the generator.

Remove the access cover for the silent chain.

Loosen the large nut behind the silent chain gear. ( bend locking tab away from nut.)

While lifting with a wiggling action on the back of generator rotate generator to desired position to access brushes. See attached simple diagram.

I hope this helps.

Reuel

Thanks Reuel! This is good information and will help me avoid major frustrations. I am still searching for information about the brushes. Do you know of a source? I will check back issues of the DB Club Newsletter and hopefully will find a source.

Rich

Guest imported_RAH

Rich,

The most common charging problem with the North East model G (and GA) usually has to do with the 'third' brush either being worn down or the tension spring being overheated and become weak. Having said that, what a bunch of questions. I will attempt to answer them in order.

1. There is a possibility the problem is NOT in the generator but rather in the relay system in the cutout starting switch assy. and/or the ground connection thereto.

2. NO See Ruel's answer.

3. As above.

4. Yes. Be very careful with the ends of the drive chain to keep them from falling down inside.

5. Check with ROMAR or Brister. See DBC News ads inside back.

6. Dimensions not a concern Use only North East replacement brushes. The main brushes are 1/4" thick and impregnated with a copper content. The 'third' brush is 3/16" and plain carbon. The fact that they are "singing" more now would indicate that they may have been inadvertantly replaced inverted and are no longer concentric with the curvature of the commutator.

7. Any time you are operating an engine on one of these generator combinations with a battery not connected it WILL blow the field fuse. As I said double check all connections, even grounds.

Another possibility is the front bearing seal may have allowed engine oil to run through the unit and contaminate the commutator and brush connections.Or there may be some insulation problems with the field wires inside the case. It may be time to consider having the unit rebuilt also consider the switch as part of the system needing rebuilding.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley