22 dodge 3 window coupe

vsully

Just figured out how to post here. I have this posted on two other clubs BB's but have had no luck yet. Can you help ? ?

Hi all:

I'm trying to replace the roof fabric on my 22 DB. I have most of the wood done but have a question. The roof supports that are in my car are 1/4 in. dia. round steel rods. four going from side to side and one from front to rear down the center. Is this correct or should they be wood also ? ? Also when I removed the seat I found a sheet metal plate aprox 10 in by 35 in, fastened to the floor under the seat bottom. It has a ID plate attached that had been painted over. I removed the sheet metal to clean up the ID plate and found two access holes about 9in by 15 in. that appear to have had covers of their own at one time. If so were they wood or metal ? ? Oh yes the ID plate is from BUDD bodies in Phill. PA. and the last patent date is 1918.

Any help will be appreciated.

vcs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_RAH

V Sully,

Sorry to be so tardy with this response. I have been contemplating your query and am not sure quite how to respond. I believe you are referring to the 'Business Coupe'? This had a cloth top that continued down around the back from door post to door post above the belt line. I have only seen one of these in a disassembled condition and do not recall any 1/4" rods. I will continue to check other DBC members to see if I can find someone who has had oine of these apart and perhaps made drawings.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Roger.. thanks for the reply..Yes.. you describe the fabric top correctly. The roof fabric was in very bad shape and when it was trailered down to me, it all came off in the wind. Only had chicken wire and the head liner left. I am now in the process of trying to fabricate three wood "bows" to run from side to side, as that is what most upholsteres say I need so there is something to fasten the headliner to. Hope this is right.

vince