1927-47 Buick Problems

I am having no luck getting new freeze plugs into my rebuilt block. The 1 1/4" plugs are .050" larger than the freeze plug hole and I can't figure out how to install them.<BR>Any ideas out there.<BR>I am also looking for a source for fan parts. In particular, I need the fibre idler gear for the fan. Did these fans have a seal in the rear to keep the oil in?<BR>Thanks in advance for your help.<BR>homestd1@mindspring.com

I should have read the rest of your post before answering. <P>Try Bob's Automobilia for the gears. He had them at one time. There is a felt seal at the rear of the hub that is supposed to keep the oil in the hub and the spiral cut on the shaft is supposed to push the oil back away from the seal to help stop leaks.<P>I had an aluminum insert machined for the inside of my fan hub and added a new shaft with a sealed ball bearing pressed into the aluminum and removed the oil and mess fromt he inside. There was an article in the Bugle some years back on doing this. <P>Also, BCA Member Jack Corless in California used to do these conversions before he sold his metal working tools for wood working tools. Maybe he can give you some pointers on the conversion. He is in the BCA roster.<P>If you have to have a felt seal, buy some hard felt and some hole punches and punch one out. Besure that the i.d. is a tight fit and oil it up good after you install it in the hub. You can probably make punches out of old water pipe.