possible drivetrain swap

I'm new to the board. My name is Jason. I have a 64 olds Jetstar 88 and a 68 Delmont 88. Is the 64 considered an A-body? Originally I bought the Delmont to swap the 455 / th400 / 12 bolt drive train in place of the Jetstar's tired 330/ 10 bolt. The Delmont was a major score (cheap)but since purchase I've had second thoughts about gutting the thing. The interior is perfect, and it runs great but the body is SORRY. My leads have run dry on body parts for the Delmont so I'm back to square one thinking of doing the engine swap. Does anyone know about the feasability of the drivetrain swap. Clearances,etc. Will the 12-bolt bolt right in? I understand the drive shaft will need to be shortened to accomidate the th400. Is the exhaust location the same? Could headers that fit a 64cutlass/455 fit in this application or are the stock manifolds the only option? Any other gremlins to face doing this.

I would love to hear any advice, answers,info that you guys could share.

Thanks for your help.

JasonKc

• 3 weeks later...
Guest copper128

Jason, While that swap may be possible there are major hurdles to overcome and it is unlikely that it would be worthwhile from a cost standpoint. First, the '64 and '68 B-body platforms are almost entirely different. The full-size GM cars underwent a major redesign for '65 and the chassis was all new compared to '64. Also, even though it is a B-body, your '64 Jetstar used many A-body parts in the drivetrain and chassis as a cost-saving measure (rearend, brakes, etc.) and these parts don't interchange with other full-size models. You might be better off finding a nice '65-'70 88 or 98 to use your '68 Delmont drivetrain in. Or if your main focus is restoring the Jetstar, try finding a '63 or '64 Dynamic 88 or 98 as a parts car.

The 1968 drivetrain would actually be a near drop-in in a 1964 Jetstar 88 as they used 330s which are the same engine family. You'll have to shorten the driveshaft and put the Turbo 400 yoke on it. All the auxiliary brackets from the 330 will bolt onto the 455. The 64 radiator is different too, the return hose is on the driver's side meaning you'll have to get a radiator custom-made or use the 1964-only 330 water pump.