Restoration vs Original

This is probably like beating a dead horse but what does everybody think.<P> My friend saw an article in a club publication stating something about it not being worth the time and effort to restore a vehicle when you could just buy a car that is original and just do minor detailing and repairs and not have all the hassles or spend all that cash.<P> I feel that it is worth it if you have a car that you really like and will enjoy when its done. I know that you can spend loads of cash on a vehicle and when you try to sell it not even be able to get close to what you have into it.

Two thoughts:<P>A car is only origional once, and that <I> is </I> more interesting to others than how well you can buff lacquer. Of course if you're in to buffing the lacquer (like many of us), then screw 'em.<P>If you want a profitable hobby, collect Pokemon cards. rolleyes.gif I've said it before here; I've never made money on a car, but I've profitted from all of them. smile.gif

I can add very little to what has been said about the expenses of restoration, but two major factors have been overlooked in the GREAT DEBATE of original vs. restored. In dealing with 1920's vintage cars, there is very little available in original. Oh yes, there are some that are more original than others, but it is not like a 70's or 80's where originals are (more) readily available.<P>Next, my wife believes, and I have to agree with her, that whatever I spend on restoring my cars in STILL cheaper than what I would spend in analysis. And after spending all of that money, it's only the pychiatrist that can afford a fully restored car(or a boat, or a cruise, ...). The hours that I spend working on a car, cursing at it, driving it, adjusting, fixing, replacing, etc. is all part of my therapy. And you CAN'T put a price on that!

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I will likely have more in mine than it will be worth, but that's not the point. I am enjoying the experience. I have no intentions of selling it anyway. If you are patient and enjoy the work, restoration may be the way to go. If you want something to drive right now, buy an original or one that's already been restored.