1939 Lincoln Zephyr WOODIE, DOES IT EXIST?

Guest Fiesta

Guest imported_Fiesta

I came across a 1939 Zephyr Woodie. I've never seen one before and even when I search the internet nothing comes up. Can anyone tell me if Lincoln actually made one? Where is the ID tag and VIN located in this car? Thanks.

There was a short article in a "The Way Of The Zephyr" the LZOC club magazine, some issues ago, in which a "woodie" Zephyr was shown, as I recall they mentioned that custom bodies were made for them by after-market purveyors, the one shown was used by a veterinarian or dog-care person of some kind, but would probally be a interesting and valuable car, probally would be registered as a conventional body style, Rolf

Guest imported_V12Bill

Lincoln probably never made a station wagon, but some custom body builder did. The I.D. tag is on the firewall . It may not reflect a custom built body though and may give the original body I.D. of a fordor sedan. The VIN is located on the drivers side of the #l crossmember between the engine mount and the side rail. Also on the drivers side rail just in front of the rear shock absorbor. Also on the transmission case just above the clutch inspection hole.Many transmissions were replaced so this number may not be true.

The late Fred Hunter of Fla. had a l941 ambulance built on the extended Custom chassis. I have heard of no others and would place your station wagon in the same class. I remember a short article in The Way of the Zephyr on station wagons and it was supported by an old photograph. If you indeed have a station wagon in your sights it could be a very valuable car and also very expensive to restore if not in good condition. shocked.gif

Bill

There is a red 1941 Lincoln ambulance in the AACA Museum in Hershey, PA. I don't know if it was Fred Hunter's or not. It is in the background of a photo taken by a friend of mine who likes Packards better than he likes Lincolns, so he didn't get a full on shot of the Lincoln. (too bad).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/94414556/94416039mPJIoO

I wonder if this is the same one that Bob Mead used in the LZOC links that get into this forum.

However, my friend DID get a picture of another Lincoln that turned out to be very expensive for me. I ended up buying it, even though it wasn't for sale!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/52966522/52967784Xgdwqs grin.gif

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

I found a Zephyr ambulance in a scrapyard in the UK about fifteen years ago. Don't know whether it was saved. At the time I was interested in the Riley Nine 4-seater drophead parked next to it - but bought neither in the end.

Mike