Final question on the 67 Olds power window switch

Guest DaveZZZ

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Hi all.

A while back I was perplexed by the need to find a base pad for the driver's window switch in the 67 Olds 98. This is the pad with the holes into which the actual switch plugs. The backing plate on mine cracked, and the wires were loose in there, causing a short.

Well, the junkyard part came, and it is a. correct and b. in good shape, so that's good. They sent the part with about 8 inches of wiring still attached.

So now I have a choice: I can try and attach the existing wires to the new pad, which would be the preferred method, or I can cut the old pad off and splice the new pad to the existing wires. The difficulty in attaching the wires to the new pad comes because I can't figure out how to remove the plate (which holds the wires in place) without destroying it. Has anyone ever transplanted one of these and if so, how did you do it? Detail is appreciated, as I do not want to have a fire (silly me).

Thanks

Dave

Dave, since you are dealing with old, brittle plastic, I'd just splice the new switch pad's pigtails into the existing wiring harness. I think you'll come out better and less hassle doing that than trying to put the original wires in the new pad.

Use non-insulated butt crimps to join the wires, and then use heat-shrink to cover the splices (all available at Radio Shack, and a good blowdryer will make enough heat to shrink it if you don't have a heat gun). The splices aren't as bulky doing it that way and you can then tape-wrap the harness for added protection. Try to stagger the location of the splices if possible so they don't end up in one spot, and look like a gall wasp laid eggs in it after it's wrapped.

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Certainly that is the easier way to go, and on some level more reliable since I won't be messing with something that looks like it was never intended to come apart. Your suggestion on the type of splice is a good one, I should have thought of that. In my mind, I was seeing around ten twisted pair-type splices making an unholy mess inside the door, and generally looking like some yahoo did a hack job. But I think that what you suggest should look pretty good, and there is definietly enough space within the armrest to house it all. Actually, since the harness is just wrapped up with that rough electrical tape (like we used to put on our hockey sticks), and since the wire colors on the new pad are all correct, I should be able to do a ppretty good job of hiding the repair. (This is why my wife thinks I am crazy, since the work will be hidden in the door anyway, but if I know that it looks like crap, it will bother me.

Thanks again!