Trunk mat

RO

Last Time I communicated with Joel he was out of material and did not know when he would be getting any more. If you find he has it now how about letting all of us know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Larry, see below. I'm just trying to get together a good decent looking driver again, not a #1 AACA senior car, so this is just out of my price range and interest. Guess they have two different types from the email excerpt below.

"it is the sharpness. I have some other fabric that is similar to the one I sent you that is almost enough for the Clipper. I would need to use some of the sample I sent you for parts. It is very crisp. The cost of the sample I sent you would be $450, the other would be $650. Would you like me to send you a sample of the other stuff? It was much more expensive."

Me too. The carpet was much less than that from Kanter. I'll just keep my trunk closed or load it up with parts so no one sees the mat. But, I'm going to look around some fabric shops for something that might work; probably can find something if I just do not worry about the pattern.

Might look at Metro rubber. I have one of their old catalogs and they have a generic type trunk mat material sold by the foot; one size is 36" wide and one 50". The 50" could have some possibilities. Haven't check for them online and the catalog is over 10 years old.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would update the group on my quest for trunk mat material or what is called studabaker burtex. Have communicated with over a dozen companies that advertise mats made of material like what is in my 56 400 trunk. Some Buicks used what looks to be exactly the same material and a couple of companies catering to Buick enthusiasts have trunk liners made of it but everyone is unable to get it anymore mat of that type so you can't even buy it by the yard from them to make your own. It appears the only one to have any product similar to our Packard trunks is Joel mentioned previously in this thread. His material is not exactly what was used in the 400 trunks but quite similar. I guess I have a decision to make, carpet or a liner from Joel. Will let you know how things come out.

Larry

In the FWIW dept. my wife went with black carpet in her Patrician. It looks just as nice and is cheaper. When I did mine I bought the material from SMS and attached it to some jute fabric and made a trunk liner. t did not come out as good but it was good enough for Gov't work.

I agree with AlK. About the only non-original "upholstery" component on my 55 Pat is the trunk liner. I had it done in Vegas. It's kind of a thin indoor/outdoor carpet material. It's a light brown kind of color to coordinate with the paint color. It looks great and for those not in the know, appears original. I actually like it better than the original trunk mat.