Need some help with a number on my cowl tag 71 442

Ok here is how it reads

ST - 71 34487 R00128 BDY

TR 932 4343 PNT

08C595

The 08C595 number is the one I can not ID if anyone can help me with this thanks. This has boogled my mind for over a year now. With all the 71 442's I have seen I haven't seen another one with more then 3 charactors and mine has 6. I am sure someone here knows what it means.

-Steve C.

08C is the build time- in this case 3rd week © of August (08). The 595 isn't showing up in any of my stuff but I suspect it is an internal Arlington plant code.

May be an option code. Does the car have any of these options? Power windows/seat/locks, rear shoulder belts, electric rear defog, air conditioning (though that usually shows up as C60), Night Watch, or demand wipers? These required different wiring harnesses and/or body components.

Well it came with AC not sure what the wipers had been. Anyway of finding out what the wipers used could have been. The wiper motor was not in the car when I bought it. I am hoping that this could be identified in another way. Thanks again

-Steven C.

• 2 weeks later...

ok after tonight I have figured out that the TRIM CODE 932 was not used in 1971 But was used in 1970 as the Strato Bucket seat. What does that now mean to my car? Was it old stock they had to use up? Or did someone order it with this option? thanks again for the time

-Steve C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRIM CODE 932 was not used in 1971 But was used in 1970 as the Strato Bucket seat. </div></div>

Where are you getting your information? My 74 edition parts book lists code 932 green vinyl as available for 1971 4487 which is 442 Holiday coupe.

You've got to remember that GM had a mess of "delete" or "no-charge" options back then. You could have either buckets or bench seat in Cutlasses at no difference in cost, though the D55 console was extra even with buckets.

It's possible that someone converted a bench seat car to buckets since, face it, bench seat musclecars don't sell in the fast buck market. The bucket seat mounting rails have been available aftermarket repro for years.

I wouldn't sweat this. You've got a data plate that backs up what the car came with, and the factory literature and documentation is the final authority as far as I'm concerned. No matter what some of the self-styled musclecar experts say.

Let's back up. Is the attachment a scan of your actual data plate? Because looking at it, I see some discrepancies- "safty" misspelled and the font doesn't look exactly like what GM was using then.

Possible someone had a data plate made, there are companies that do it. I still think the 932 is legitimate based on what I see in the parts books.

Sorry I have been corrected I thought that the books I bought had to be right after looking into some other options I have finally found the correct answers. As for the data plate I made it as a sample with photoshop I saw the error after I made it.Good thing I saved the .PSD and fixed it. Thanks for all the help. I am still in need for some truthful books I can buy to restore my car to original factory specs. Any ideas? I still need to know if the door strikers had been painted at the factory.

Thanks again

-Steve C.