restoration guides for 70's Delta 88

I have a 1975 and a 1971 Delta 88 convertable and I am thinking of begining a restoration project on one of them. However I have the will but not the knowledge. Is there a good guide on how to begin a project like this? I have Fisher body and GM Shop manuals but need to know how to organise and begin.

Thanks David

Hoo boy. There's little to nothing out there on these cars. Your best bet for reference is factory sales literature and photos, dealer albums (Color & Fabric, Product Selling Information) and a good set of factory parts books.

I would make sure the cars are mechanically sound before sinking time and money into anything else. Then tackle the body restoration, and finally the interior since it will have to come out anyway to properly do the body and paint work. (Take it out- you will never get all the bodyshop dust off it.)

The top frame is a big concern on these cars too. New front bows, latches and electrical are available, but expensive and most trim shops hate to see one of these cars coming. There is also a noticeable difference in manufacturing quality of tops for them. Check the Buick forums for top discussions- there seem to be a lot of 71-75 LeSabre/Centurion ragtop owners there.

You have what are arguably the best of the big 70s ragtops. I've never been able to warm up to the front and rear styling of the 72 and especially the 74.

When the cars are done, stick on a set of Super Stock IV Polycast wheels wearing about a 1-3/4" whitewall, and you will have a very stylish big ragtop.

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

You know, I have never understood why there isn't more out there for the 70-75 Deltas. They seem to have sold well, and they seem to get pretty good prices. I know here in the NE I'd expect to pay $5000 for a solid "20-footer."

RR, you think that the mechanical is more important than the body/frame? I have always viewed it that mechanical parts are still easy to get, it is the body stuff that will drive you nuts, so even major engine and trans work isn't too bad.

-Dave