1964 Jetstar 1

I,m glad I just joined your forum, looks great.

I to love olds. I want to share with you all that I came across a rather ruff

1964 Jetstar 1 2 dr hard top with a lot of luxuary items on it.

Power windows, seats, trunk, electric eye for headlights, FM radio, U.H.C. 394 and so on.

I have been told that this is a real keeper.

Would some of you help me out with your experience with this car and it's collectability? I would really appreciate it.

Looking forward to being involved with you trading and selling in the near future!!!

• 2 weeks later...

They made a fair # of them but 64 65 were the only years so it may appreciate. I got mine a couple years ago but have not had time to rebuild yet. Depending on how rough it is unless you do the work yourself, you will probably lose money short term. Pat

• 1 month later...

The 64 Jetstar I is a desirable car for those collecting from this period. As noted, it is a 2 year body/trim option only. It is unique because it is a de-trimmed Starfire. For those who feel the extra aluminum trim and gee-gaws on a Starfire were a bit over-the-top then the Jetstar I was the correct choice. It combines GM's concave rear window treatment only seen on the GranPrix for Pontiac and the Starfire. The normal backlight (window) was based on the GM corporate B body "convertible look" roof angle. The concave rear glass - in my opinion - is a much more stylish route and seperates the Starfire/Gran Prix/Jetsar I form the corporate pack.

Beyond that, the Jetstar I had Starfire level performance because it had the Starfire high compression motor. I particularly am a fan of 64 oldsmobiles - all body styles - but prefer the Jetstar I and the 98 Holiday sport coupe because they combine bucket seat/console sportiness with sound design.

I have been looking for a Jetstar I for years in complete, solid restorable shape ($1000 to $2500 range) but very little luck. Don't buy and restore to make a ton of money because you will end up explaining about WHY they are collectible to sell it and when you have to do that - you are behind the eight ball. Say GTO or 442 and immediately you get peoples attention but Jetstar I will be like "Huh?" Soooo - get it if you really like it. Parts are still available - make sure the tachometer is there and the buckets/console plus all badging. Badging would be hard to come by. I believe grilles and other body trim will be shared.

Thanks

Bryan Moran

abc.moran@netzero.com

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Parts are still available - I believe grilles and other body trim will be shared.

Thanks

Bryan Moran

abc.moran@netzero.com </div></div>

Bryan - Do you know where I can get a front Bumper for a 1965 Jetstar 1 and I was looking at putting in a airconditioner for it also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Linda

All 1965 fullsize front bumpers are the same. Starfire/J-I had their own grille and headlight buckets, and early 1965 Starfires have a clear rectangular lens covering the headlights.

Do you want factory-style A/C or would you settle for an aftermarket installation? For factory you'll need an airconditioned parts car and odds are you'd have to replace all the refrigerant components, so that would get expensive really quick.

An aftermarket underdash box unit would get in the way of the console/tach, but you might be able to find a streetrod style system that routes the air outlets along the bottom edge of the dash and keeps the evaporator up behind it. I believe such systems are made for 1965-68 big Chevys, and all B/C bodies are basically the same in the firewall/cowl area. You'd need Olds brackets to mount the compressor, and see if the system can be fitted with a GM A6 compressor. I think (but not sure) that a Sanden compressor will mount in A6 brackets.