69 Cutlass Dash Lights

I dont know if the lights are suppose to do this or not but my dad said that on start up the Generator, oil, hot, and brake indicator lights are all suppose to come on when you start the car, i replaced all those bulbs and they still wont come on on start up. Can anyone tell me whats wrong? the oil and temp sending units are all new.

There is a 10 amp fuse in the fuse block labelled "GAGES/TRANS". It is the power source for the fuel gage and warning lights. Check to see if it is blown or clips corroded.

There's a remote possibility of a bad terminal in the ignition switch, but if it's bad there'd be other problems- no turn signals/backup lights, and the car will probably not run.

Let me know if they still don't work after replacing the Gages/Trans fuse.

I forgot to mention that the hot light does come on when you start the car but its the only one that does. you still think its the fuse?

The hot light works a little differently as it grounds thru a contact in the ignition switch for bulb test when starting. But since it's working, that says it's getting power thru the fuse.

Did you make sure the contact wires on the new bulbs were inline with the strips in the sockets? Possible bad bulbs or sockets, or could be the printed circuit on the back of the gage clusters. Try twisting the sockets back and forth a bit to cut thru any corrosion on the circuit board.