Buick Aluminum block

enduro74

215 cubic inches,used 1961-1963. I drove these cars for many years. They were reliable,and frankly I just plain drove them as I would have driven any other Buick.I kept up to others on the Interstate,got over 20 MPG. Had that car been available during the gas shortage, we would have had a winner. The English put a version of it in their Rover,with good success.

Guest COMPACTBC

Some of parts off of a 1962 & '63 198 cu in V6 will fit. Like everything on the front of the block, oil pump,and its aluminum housing. Most engine parts are available if you know where to go. tongue.gif Where did you get the numbers from on your first post? They don't look like any numbers I have seen on these engines.

Guest John Chapman

Enduro,

As others have indicated, there are a lot of parts available for this motor, if you know where to look and are resourceful. Don't expect the local Pep Boys or NAPA to have too much for it though.

This is a fine engine, and was also used by Olds for the F-85 Cutlass JetFire which offered a turbo version that produced 215HP. Buick sold the rights to BMC in about 1964, and in it's last incarnation with Rover, just went out of production in the UK last year. There are a lot of Rover fans that have tweaked this motor up a lot. There are also a number of rodders in the US that have done a lot with it. The crank from the 300 engine will fit, I think. There is a strong following for this motor in New Zealand and Australia, also. I'd suggest you visit the 'Small Block Forum' at www.v8buick.com and ask questions. Many of the Rover bits will fit the Buick engine, too: valve covers, some heads, FI systems, maybe the Rover ZF transmission, and so forth.

Here's a couple of links that are interesting:

http://www.aluminumv8.com/

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_buick.html

http://www.crower.com/

That should get you started!

Cheers,

John

The Exhaust (for March 2004), the newsletter for my local British car club, has a very good 4 page tech article on these engines. It's better than many I've read in American car literature.

The article's in .pdf form, and needs to be downloaded to be read, which I'm having trouble doing right now for some reason (I'm sitting here reading the paper version, for all the good that'll do you!). On the web site linked above, click on the March 2004 newsletter to start the download. Post here if others have problems or can figure out how to get this thing to come up.

If you're working on one of these, don't miss this article. It's a good one. smile.gif

Thanks for all the reply

theres two of them on e-bay right now.

one just the block and the other one more or less looks complete.

what kind of rpm's will this motor take? I was thinking of put this in my race car to cut some front weight down. Thanks for all the help and answers wink.gif

Guest John Chapman

Enduro,

Being a Buick-designed torque engine, I think you'd be pressing it to go much beyond 6200-6500. In stock form I think they were redlined at 5600 or so...

cheers,

JMC

Guest rlbleeker

Being a short stroke they handle the rpms pretty well. You can run a 300 crank if you turn the main journals down. You can run small journal small block chev rods with a little work. And 300 buick ('64) heads with a bit more work. Front end and some valve train stuff will interchange with 300, 340. (deck height is different on all three) Great little motors.

Some folks used these engines in sports-racers in the late 60's. I recall a Genie-Buick and perhaps a Lotus-Buick or two. The Genie Buick had some success, but building a Buick engine into a racer is far more difficult than hopping up a small block Chevy or Ford.

A friend visited here the other day with a Buick 215 block just out of the vat. It was sitting on the front seat of his car -- one person could easily pick it up, that block is unbelievably light.