Will I really lose my fingers?

Guest DaveZZZ

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Hi all.

I am getting ready to replace the window motor on the pass. rear of the 67 98 convertible. I read the service manual, and it is a bit vague. It seems that I detach the whole motor/regulator assy from the lower sash, then detach the mounting bolts from the inboard side of the quarter (behind the finish trim) and pull the whole regulator + motor assy out the access hole. I've got the trim off, and I think I see pretty well how to proceed. But the manual makes no mention of a safety concern over spring-loaded-finger-death.

What I have seen on-line seems to warn people away from doing this kind of stuff since the spring is known to remove fingers. On the other hand, none of these sites are referring to rear convertible quarter glass from 67, so maybe this is a more modern concern...

I was going to rush home tonight to finish this job, but I would like to know what I am getting in to...

-Dave

Dave, if there's any concern (and there should be), you can put a bolt thru the two arms of the regulator to keep it from moving. Either drill a hole thru both or it may already have one.

I am fortunate in never having had to replace a rear quarter motor. The Toro's front driver window is getting weak and I do not relish replacing it. Other carlines are a simple motor changeout. The Toro cannot use that shortcut.

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Thanks Glenn. I knew you'd have the answer.

I had seen the bolt idea on line, but I was surprised that the service manual made no mention. Even in the less safety concious 60's I'd assume that people didn't like losing fingers.

I just finished getting the top pump in good order (for the final time, I hope. I kept "fixing" the old one and having it fail again, so this time it was a replacement), and the new top is going on next week or the week after, so it seemed like a good time with the rear seat already removed to do the window motor. I decided that this is a job best served with an assistant, so it will probably wait until the weekend.

SLowly but surely I am getting through my list. I have a bipolar feeling about this stuff. I love doing it, and I take great satisfaction in it, but having the car partially disassembled kills me. I like to start and finish a job in one session.

Anyway, thanks for the help, Glenn. I think I'd be lost without you.