61 Buick Electra Upholstery

Does anyone have arecommendation for a source for the upholstery in the seats for my 61 Buick Electra? And 2nd, does anyone know a truly good, reliable, upholsterer in the Midwest to redo my seats? I've checked locally and there is no one that does "like new" upholstery. Ever notice how many cars at car shows look like they have poor non original upholstery jobs on them? What happened to this career?

Bryan

abcmoran@quixnet.net

www.smsautofabrics.com . Not always inexpensive, but they are truly amazing when it comes to sourcing original upholstery yardage. Examples: I was able to get wet-look and woven vinyl for my 74 Hurst/Olds. A Pontiac friend found the correct "Palais" cloth for his 1966 Bonneville Brougham. They just came thru for me on 1964 Olds Ninety Eight Custom Sport Coupe cloth. Someone here on the forums from Sweden found "Navajo" cloth for a 1958 Buick thru them.

The website has a contact page. Fill it out and send to them, and they'll send you samples of what they have.

Guest Skyking

I have to agree with Glenn on SMS. Although I had a runaround with owner Doug on a special order, he pulled through with flying colors. I sent him a sample of the houndstooth material from my Metropolitan and he matched it perfect. A little pricey, but it couldn't be had anywhere else...Now my Met is complete!

Bryon, I just went through the same search for my '63 Electra. In my case, I already knew I was taking my seats to one of the best upholstery craftsman in the field, which goes by the name of Historic Motor Cars here in Terre Haute IN. But first I wanted to compare his prices with other companies. My interior is leather, and SMS quoted me $4500, which did not include shipping the seats back and forth. Then I went to Historic and he quoted $1800. Historic is highly regarded and has worked on the finest cars you'll see anywhere. It might be worth your time to give him a call...812 232 8494 My seats are in his shop now, and if I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to ask.

Pat

Guest my3buicks

I think most off us that have delat with SMS have bought fabric/material/leather only. Even if he goes with the best upholsterer you still have to get the correct fabric somewhere or the ubholsterer orders it usually from there of a similar place.