Wheel Jack + Jack Position

Guest Mr. Solutions

Guest Mr. Solutions

Hi<P>I have a tire iron & a wheel jack that came with my '51 Special. However, I do not even know if this is the correct wheel jack, and supposing it is, where I should jack the car up in the event of a blowout... My shop manual doesn't cover this topic, nor does my car manual (go figure!)<P>Can anybody help me here?<P>Thanks

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Gentlemen,<P>If memory serves me correctly, from my 19 years of owing my 1951 Special, the jack should be positioned in this manner:<P>Front: slightly outside of the vertcal bumper guards.<P>Rear: Slightly to the outside of the rear bumper guards as well.<P>You can get a reproduction decal that goes on the inside of the trunklid, from either Buick Specailists, Cars, or Bob's Automobilia, that would show the exact position.<P>If you jack is the same as mine was, you must beware. When you would raise the car, it would go up when you would move the jack handle up and down. In other words, it went up on the upstroke and downstroke.<P>The problem I had, is that because of this, it works the same way on the way down.<P>One time I was lowering the car, and the jack decided to go into fast forward mode, and lower the car promptly. Good thing the wheel was on, but the jack handle went flying like a missle, put a pretty good sized dent in the roof. Could have been an eye!<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

Guest Mr. Solutions

HI<P>Thanks Scott for your informative posting. I'll take a picture in a day or so & post it, and if you don't mind, can you ID the jack as authentic for me?<P>Much appreciated