Cowl Plate Decoding

Guest DaveZZZ

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Hi folks.

I was wondering if someone could help me decode the cowl plate. It is a 67 Olds 98 convertible:

General Motors Corporation

11D

ST 67-38467 LAN 1330 BODY

TR 030-D P-2 PAINT

WYS 2ETR

Thanks

Dave

11D- is the build week. In this case 4th week (D) of November (11). Thanksgiving week. Meaning- you may find some weird stuff. My Toro is a 12D which was Christmas week and explains a lot about that car.

67- 1967 model year

38467- 3=Oldsmobile, 84 is Ninety Eight, 67 is Fisher body code for convertible

LAN is Lansing plant, 1330 is Fisher Body plant job number.

TR 030-D is interior trim code which I cannot find- my books have a gap from 1965-67 and the 442 crowd have driven the price on those years slap out of reason. I am not going to pay $250+ for a C&F album.

P-2 are the paint and convertible top color codes- P=Pewter, 1=white top

Not sure about the remaining codes. They have something to do with power top/windows/seat or air conditioning if car has it.

Hope it helps!

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Thanks a lot.

I knew the color had originally been pewter, as the paint job is not exactly top notch, and so evidence of the original color can be found.

I'm glad to know about the top, since I am having it replaced soon and so I may as well get the correct color. I like the white top anyway. The repaint, farther down the line, will be a tough call. I like the pewter, but the current red is really nice.

As far as I know, the convertible only came with one interior uphosltery and the strato seat was standard, so I would assume that the black that's in there is correct. The wheel and dash are black, etc.

Wierd stuff due to a Thanksgiving build, huh? Let's see... I can't say that I have found anything too wierd, although there is something about the convertible boot fit. The guys at Acme Auto Headlining tell me that I have a welting strip above the back seat (as opposed to velcro), but that the quarter trim snaps are in the velcro location. According to them, these snaps were situated slightly differently.

When I had the carpet out I did find some wierd stuff under there, including several .22 casings, those old beer can pull tabs, an incredibly large and gaudy woman's earring, a couple of coins, and a dollar.

-Dave