carb retrofit?

Guest NikeAjax

Guest imported_NikeAjax

Can someone give a few, more-modern, examples of carburetors that will fit on a 1956 Century? I care nothing about the vacuum-switch starter, don't like 'em! Really the only thing I want is something that will bolt-right-in with little or no changing of the linkage; not really wanting a performance carb either, but something adiquate and highly reliable, better economy would be nice too.

What is the best and most reliable place to hook up the push-button for the starter, on the solinoid?

Thanks,

Jaybird

Other than the linkage adaptations, the other MAIN issue will probably be the base plate bolt pattern, with the air horn circle diameter for the air cleaner being the next thing past that. Then there's the issue of whether or not there might be a heat track in front of the primary barrels in the intake manifold (not sure about that particular yeat) which require special gaskets to make work and not cause an exhaust leak. With a little practice with a tubing bender, you can make some fuel lines that can look like they came on the car too.

Some of the old Carter AFBs had dual bolt patterns on their base plates and there could well be some variations in the air cleaner mounting circle too. In order to use a later carb, you might have to also find an aftermarket manifold that will fit the engine and the carb you decide to use also. Worst case scenario would be to use an adapter to mate the carb to the earlier manifold, which is kind of defeating the purpose of upgrading the carb.

There's a website I ran across a while back that is devoted to Nailheads and modifications thereof. Might be some information there or in v8Buick.com or some information in the Buick Street Rod Club website.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467