Just picked up "Firey" 88 Reatta ... but I?m not really sure why

BP

I just picked up a 1988 Reatta. I?m not really sure why, my 89 Reatta keeps me busy enough.

I didn?t see it listed in the Database. The VIN is 1G4EC11C3JB904258 ? Its Red with Red Trim and Gray interior (I don?t recall any suede inserts in the seats so I assume it came off the production line late in 1988 (or the seats are not original). No 16way seats and no sunroof.

This car experienced and electrical fire in 2001 and has been patiently waiting for some attention ever since. The fire appears to have started in the center console just above and to the right of the gas pedal.

I?m looking for some feedback

1) How do I tell when in 1988 it was produced

2) Any ideas on the cause/source of the electrical fire in that area.

Thanks

BP

Remember the old saying of going forth, being fruitful and multiplying? It very much so applies to the Reatta(s) in your posession. Congratulations on your newest addition.

On the rear edge of the driver's door, there's a vehicle certification label. The first line says "Mfg By General Motors Corp". Next line starts with "Date" and under that is the month and year the vehicle was produced in MM/YY format.

As an alternative, you can also get a <span style="font-style: italic">rough</span> estimate of the month and year the vehicle was produced by looking at Barney's spreadsheet of known Reattas. In the comments column sometimes is listed a build date (and may be abbreviated "BD MM/YY"). When forwarding info to Barney about a car, this piece of info might also be of a good historical value, especially in the case of early 1988's.

Guest tempest68

FYI...

The last portion of the VIN, in your case 04258, was sequential starting from 00001 for each year. So in the four thousand range, its definitely not an early '88.