'63 Starfire A/C seals & dryer

Guest Pertti K

Guest imported_Pertti K

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could get shaft seals for '63 Starfire A/C compressor? I got a "coplete kit" which only had o-rings for both ends of the compressor, but nothing for the shaft. Fusick had a A/C compressor in their ctalog, does anyone know if they are new, rebuilt, or used as is?

I'd also need o-rings for all the connections and a dryer. Where could I ask for them?

Thanks,

Pertti

The Fusick compressor is probably a rebuilt unit. Most that are available now are rebuilt.

Your car uses a Frigidaire A6 compressor and these use the same compressor shaft seal from 1958-1977. Original part # Group 9.175, #6599114, 1958-77 All C.A.C. with axial compressor.

The O-rings should be readily available, but since A/C is probably not common in northern Europe, they may not be. You can probably find a pre-kitted assortment with several sizes.

Try www.usapartssupply.com , you can download their catalog online, or contact Classic Auto Air Mfg Co, 2020 W. Kennedy Blvd, Tampa FL 33606 USA. Phone 813-251-2356. There's another company in Texas I've dealt with but I can't find their address right now.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_Pertti K

I purchased a Four Seasons Inc.'s AC compressor shaft seal kit n:o 24016 from the local Speed Shop. I'd appreciate a piece of information

to make sure everything goes right.

The shaft seal is very different from the original and I want to make sure

it's the right one. The original seal is a spring loaded coal ring plus a

steel seal seat (first two on the left in the picture). The new is only one steel framed "lip type" seal (on the right in the picture). The seal seat could be replaced by the new seal, at least the dimesioning is the same - is this

how it's ment to be, or should I try to find a coal ring seal somewhere?

If the seal is compatible, I then have couple more questions:

Should the spring loaded coal ring be installed on the shaft with the new seal or not? Which

way should the new seal's "lip" point, inside or outside the compressor? How

should the seal be installed - there was a plastic tube to be placed on the

shaft to help the installation, but do I need to use oil or not?

Thanks again,

Pertti