rebuilding a carter AFB

JUSTIN

I have several carter AFB laying around. I am also having MPG problems with my 65 401 riv eldebrock. My answer is to buy a new carb around $275. But why can't I just rebuild one of my old ones. 1. How hard is it? 2. How much will it cost?<P>My first reaction is that is can't hurt anything. If I try to rebuild it and it doesnt work then I have just wasted the money for the rebuild kit and I will just put the eldebrock back on.

It shouldn't be that hard. I never tackled a carb before but rebuilt a Holley a couple of weeks ago and it turned out real well.<BR>Very, very important, however, is getting a book to go by. There are several out there--then you'll be out the cost of the rebuild kit and a book (about $12), but still way ahead of buying a new carb.<BR>Good Luck!<BR>-Brad

The book publishers advertise all the time in car mags, but you should be able to go to your local book store and order them. I don't know which publisher has one for the AFBs, but it'll be one of the following: HPBooks, Motor Books International (MBI) or Car Tech.<BR>Also, very often speed parts shops or the local Pep Boys, AutoZone, whatever will have them. I'd go there first.<BR>As for the rebuild kit, I don't know. Dial up the parts stores, try a little mom&pop parts store, then go to the Buick suppliers if you don't have any luck with the local stuff. Again, I'd think those would be readily available locally.<BR>Also, get a big ol' can of carb cleaner and some rubber gloves. A very small brash wire brush is also a good thing to have on hand.<BR>Finally, I don't think you'd need any, but if there are any specialized tools for the AFB (the Holley had some clutch-head screws), take the time to track down a Snap-on truck and buy the special tool. The clutch head screw driver from Snap-on only cost me $12, but it saved a ton of time and messed up screws. Call a local service center and ask when the Snap-on or MAC truck comes around.<BR>Lotsa luck,<BR>-Brad