1970 Assembly Manual

The Old Guy

Guest 70 Electra

Joe,<BR>Thanks for the quick response. I have seen Dan vend at many swap meets, but never saw original assembly manuals. I will give him a try, though, and post my results in case others are also interested.<P>PS--Finally got my damn Bugle yesterday (a full week after you Flint folks!). Let me join in offering "congrats" for making the cover!

Guest 70 Electra

Anybody out there have a "real" copy of the 1970 Assembly Manual? I mean a useful one that is readable?<P>As most of you know, the commonly available reproduction is lacking in several areas. It is missing many of the pages, and the printing (particularly the B/C/E car stuff) is so light, it's often illegible.<P>I was hoping that someone might have an original (or clean copy) that was pilfered from Buick back in the good ol' days. If so, I'd be interested in buying/renting/borrowing so that I could make a decent xerox. <P>If you have one, but don't want to tell the world, feel free to email me directly. I will keep your identity confidential.<P>(By the way, I have already visited the Sloan Museum's Research Center, and unfortunately they do not have a 1970 Assembly Manual.)

Guest 70 Electra

Well, Joe's lead turned up good news, and bad news. <P>Bad news was that Dan didn't have an original 1970 Assembly Manual for full size Buicks. Good news was that he had one in the past--which means there must be some copies out there circulating.<P>So......Still looking for someone that has one or knows a friend of a friend of a friend that does. Would like to buy/rent/borrow/whatever to get a good clean and complete xerox copy.

There was a posting here a year or more ago where one guy was adamant that these "Assembly Manuals" were home-made frauds.<P>He was in the auto literature business and seemed quite knowledgable about them.<P>Given that opinion, you might want to consider if the ones you've seen really add anything that is not covered in the Chassis Repair Manuals.

Guest 70 Electra

YellowLark,<BR>Thanks for the input. I'm not familiar with the specific controversy you mention. It may be that some of the reproductions have been "fabricated", although I have no doubt that the reproduction 1970 Buick copy I have is authentic. The problem is that it's very faint and hard to read, and many pages are omitted. <P>As to the general concept of "assembly manuals", GM has used them since the early 50's on Chevrolets and still uses them today in all the vehicle assembly plants.<P>Originally called Assembly Manuals, or Assembly Instruction Manuals (AIM's), they later were named Product Description Manuals (PDM's) and today are known as Product Assembly Documents (PAD's).<P>The useful information they provide, that is not in the service manual, is of three types. <P>One is the part numbers. The part number of virtually every part installed at the plant is called out in the assembly manual. <P>Second, is the revision history of a part. Any change to part number, omission or addition of parts, or change in the process, is called out and dated in the revision history of each page. This often gives important information as to when mid-year changes were made.<P>Third, the installation of EVERY vehicle plant part is covered in detail with illustrations. For example, the details of the battery cable routing, the orientation of the radiator hose clamps, etc. which are typically NOT in the service manual. <P>I have Assembly Manuals (nice legible and complete originals) for my 60 Buick, and my 66 Chevrolet, and have found them to be an invaluable aid during restoration and repairs. Hopefully I can locate a better copy of the 70 Buick Assembly Manual and enjoy the same benefits with this car! grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: 70 Electra ]