Fuel pump trouble

How long should it take to get the fuel to start pumping out of pump ? i am trying to make sure that i do not need another pump, After having gas tank done over totally plus blowing out gas line from tank to pump plus adding 2 new inline filters ,, i put small amounts of gas into carb and engine fires up but still no gas in the bowl ,,, whats up ???? sorry to forget to say, its a 1949 Buick super mad.gif" border="0

1) Assure gas tank has sufficient fuel grin.gif" border="0 <BR>2) Assure line in open between pump and carb<BR>3) Assure fuel pump arm is engaged and riding the eccentric lobe<BR>4) Assure there are no minute leaks in the fuel lines (even a small one will cause pump to suck air instead of fuel<BR>Good luck<P>If you pull the fuel pump off, hold the pump and work the arm (use your weight to do this..) and you can hear its sucking air, then the pump is probably working and you have problems elsewhere in the syste.

I had a problem with my pump after I rebuilt my engine. It seems that the two months of sitting ruined it, so I just bought another one. I don't know how hard it is to get pumps for straight 8's, but if it isn't hard then just replace it.

Even if the fuel pump were rebuilt with modern materials on the diaphram - todays fuels, especially dependant on where in the country you are - are literally hell to deal with. Even with todays new cars - some areas have lots of problems with fuel systems being eaten because of the additives in the fuel. I rebuilt a pump with all new guts, new material for the diaphram, new valves, etc - it worked one year, the next spring it had to be replaced. Rule of thumb - always have an extra with you on the road just in case ! Typically the 2 most common problems are installation error (pump arm not riding on the eccentric) and the diaphram material being eaten away.