exhaust system help

K Howie

My Reatta has been making a clanging, rattling noise when going over bumps. I took it to my faithful Buick shop and they said that it sounded like the catalytic converter was breaking down - that the baffles inside were coming loose and to take it to a muffler shop because I could get the job done cheaper there. I took it by the nearby Midas and they said they see nothing wrong with the catalytic converter (without having torn into it) but that the rest of the system (muffler and pipes) are rusty and leaky. I talked to them about replacing those things but they said they were unable to locate all the parts. They have a muffler but will need to make the pipes for me. The price I was quoted for parts and labor, including putting in a new catalytic converter just for future measures is $541.63.

My questions are - does this sound reasonable? Does anyone know of a source for the parts so I don't have to have custom-bent pipes made? The Midas guy said he called GM, Buick and a couple of parts distributors with no luck.

Thank you!

Guest Greg Ross

Does the rattle stop if you have the brakes applied-common rear brake rattle!

Over the past couple of years I've ended up converting mine to a '91 2-1/2" dia. system those pipes were still available from the Dealer. 2-1/4" pipes I'm not certain about.

Mr. Midas is also quoting you using aluminized steel pipe I'd imagine. What you have now is all 410 grade Stainless Steel and it may look rusty but it's only oxidized. After 15 or so years it's becoming thinner due to internal errosion and corrosion. Do you have exhaust leak noises? It is quite possible the internals of the Cat. Converter are gone/ do you have to pass a State Emissions Test? In any case the Cat. can be replaced with an after market unit, it may not be the same length as the Factory installed unit but that can be made up in short pipe pieces.

Typical practice in a Muffler Shop is to take a pair of Channel Locks/ very large pliers and show you by clamping and crushing the pipe how bad your system is!

THe quoted price for fabricated steel pipe, catalytic converter and muffler sounds fair, but

Get a Second Opinion!

Guys -

thanks for those points. Greg, I will listen while operating the brakes. I've not put two and two together on that yet. I will ask about the rubber bands, too. I did a search through some old posts and saw that subject discussed a lot. Unfortunately, I don't know a thing about exhaust systems.

So, should I have the new one done out of stainless steel or the aluminum you think they are quoting me. Is there a difference in durability, performance, etc? I will also definitely get a second opinion.

Thank you!

Guest Greg Ross

Stainless vs Aluminized steel is strictly cost vs longitivity. The system that's on your car now is probably the original factory installed Exhaust System. Material cost I'm guessing is probably 3 times the price of Steel pipe. The Steel System will last 3 to 5 years, depending... The Stainless built with the right Tubing material, 410 grade should last 15 years.

If you elect to go for the Midas Option insist they reuse the tail pipes off your old muffler. this will restore at least the stock appearance.

All the other posts have good suggestions, especially the rattling rear brakes, not harmful, but it is annoying. One other item may be the front anti-sway bar frame bushings or the ends that connect to the suspension. This is usually more of a clunk/thump type sound, rather than a rattle, and may be more evident when turning back and forth.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I am going out of town for about a week and will come back to this issue on my car's exhaust after I return. I'm thinking I will take the car to the Navy's hobby shop and put it up on a lift so I can see for myself whether the stainless pipes are really rusty or just oxidized as one member suggested. I'll post the results of what happens and how much I end up spending!

Guest imported_Flash

Just for comparison.....my '88 has been a daily driver (in Michigan) for almost 15 years. Never replaced any part of the stainless exhust yet. (except 1 catalytic converter in '96).

Guest Greg Ross

At around 175,000 miles my Cat lost it's breakfast and the Pipe broke just ahead of it. The pipe wall was really thinned out from high temperature cycling, errosion/ corrosion.

I've been experimenting and listening this week as I go over the speed bumps into my neighborhood - and I'm pretty darn sure now that it's the brakes that are rattling, not the exhaust system. So, thanks GMRoss, for pointing that out to me. I still have not had a chance to look at the pipes and rubber band hangers yet - hopefully this weekend and I will update you all. Nic Walker has supplied me with info on de-rattling the brakes. I'll do that when I can (no extra $ right now). Thanks, all, for the info lately.

Guest wally888

Stabilizer Bar! (hope is the right term? They are different on 91's)

Had one, has self locking nut, came loose, Only rattles if wheels are dead straight! Otherwise there is pressure on the rod.

Parked, wheels dead straight, you can feel looseness. Can also examine both to check if same number of threads through the nut.

As someone said, apply the brake pedal a little as you go over speed bump=rattle (not pads)

if it is the exhaust system that is the problem, I would definitely get a second opinion from an independent muffler shop. a catalytic converter should cost about $140, and the complete system should be no more than $400. all Midas ever knows how to do with exhaust systems is to replace the whole thing, not just what is bad.

Midas consistently ranks up there with Sears for having state and federal investigations concerning consumer fraud.

Mike

Guest imported_JohnW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all Midas ever knows how to do with exhaust systems is to replace the whole thing, not just what is bad.

Sorry you had a bad experience with Midas. I find mine to be fair so I'm not sure they all fit in the same bucket. Actually I just stopped by a "Fair Muffler" shop to get a quote on a duel exhaust dynaflow muffler installed and their price was $200 + the cost of the stainless steal tips. I think thats fair.

John </div></div>