ABS lite stays lit

knjake

My 1988 (68k mi.) Reatta had front pads,rotors,calipers,frt brake hoses replaced yesterday(SAE mobile mechanic),when job completed and all lights went out as should when started, when I drove later ABS stayed on , without me spending hrs. on a tech-NO repair manual that I would not comprehend fully (being from the old grin.gif iron school)and B-4 calling mechanic, are there any obvious areas I should be looking @ first? You all were a GREAT help in solving my "flickering dash" back in Nov. cool.gif

Guest Greg Ross

Wally will be along any minute now to suggest you do the "Brake Test" That's the best advise going, and the only place to start. There's about two years of effort gone into developing that little series of tests.

Start There.

Guest wally888

Yellow light stays on.

Probably some thing simple and you can start finding by (do in any order you prefer) I would do 1. 1st but 2. may be solution as some one previously mentioned.

1. Retrive codes at ALDL (instructions at site below) Code wil identify source of problen unless is Main Relay.

2. Visual inspection of wheel sensors wire ( if the mechanic in some way damaged the sensor rotor or there is a lot of grease on it you need to also view the cogged rotor{not the brake rotor})

3. Replace (actually if you just switch w/ the Pump Relay you may then see a Red light if Main Relay is problem) the Main Relay.

4. Give the car the Brake Tests at site below.

In any case you should use the Brake Tests and flush the system if not done recently, to evaluate the Accumulator. But the Tests won't identify the problem unless there are other problems.

If all fails, good sensors and clean rotors, no codes at ALDL, good Main Relay then it will be time to look at Pressure Sensor.

Instructions for all the above at site below / Brakes.

Hope this helps and you report results!

grin.gifGreg,Harry,Wally, I Know you guys are good....but this good? After my initial post I fired the beast up and within 4 seconds or less the red & amber lights go out and continue to function properly, "Reatta heal thy self". Prior to brake servicing these two (red&amber) lamps took all of 30 seconds to go out. The power of the mind from ya-all really did the job.....I didn't have to do a thing. FYI I spent $371 parts,(NAPA)calipers,rotors,pads,flexible brake lines,fluid, and labor(SAE mobile mechanic)This forum is good cool.gif but didn't think it was this good...who knew! On a serious note any ideas what may have caused this hiccup? Thanks for the quick responses...this site is truley an asset to all Reatta owners!! grin.gif Jake grin.gif

Guest wally888

Over time, a few hours or overnight, the system pressure will deplete. Then the lights should take much longer to go out!

Please use the tests, report results. Maybe you have an intermittant problem or a pressure sensor problem.

You can retrieve the codes at ALDL (read directions at Brakes/ Diagrams) and there will be a code there as history. You must read 2nd. page about how to determine if codes are current or History!