Sticking metal to metal

The door pull handles on the inside of my 71 Riviera have two big screws holding them in. Over each screw is a small metal plate that covers them up. Each plate has two prongs about the size of a pencil lead that stick into coresponding holes in the door panel. The problem is that when people slam the door they want to pop out. In fact most of the daily driven boattails I have seen are missing these metal covers. I can't glue them in because then I can't get to the screws, so what do I do to keep from losing them.

If there is any space between the inside of the plate and the screws, maybe a little velcro? Another idea that comes to mind is a small dab of Elmer's Glue. It would probably have enough adhesion to prevent the plates from popping out, but not enough to cause any damage or to make it difficult to remove. Oh another idea, that tacky stuff that they sell to hand up posters and such. 3M makes double sided "Removable Mounting Squares" that also might work. Its basically a thin piece of foam with low level adhesive on both sides, also meant for hanging up posters and such. Hope that helps.