Tips / data on 81-84 307 V8

Is there anybody able to give me any data on the 81-84 mod olds V8 engine.

I have one I am planning to put in a 59 Apache.

I need hp, tourqe, timing data and all sorts of tips to make it last.

Also if anybody have tried a blower on this type of engine.

Anything will be aprechiated.

Ove

Unless you just have one laying around, I think you'd be happier with a Chevy 350 or even a 283 than with the 307. It's a tough little engine and will last forever given reasonable care, but it makes something like 150 horsepower in stock form.

The heads and exhaust don't really lend themselves to blowers. Small cylinders and ports.

Try www.realoldspower.com for 307 performance tricks. I can almost guarantee they'll tell you to go with a Chevy engine or a 350/455 Olds, but it's worth a look.

Guest Dave Wyatt

I'll go along with Glenn on this one. Something bigger than an Olds 307 would be a better choice and a Chevy engine in your Chevy truck would be your best choice.

I had a 307 laying around and we used it in my son's 85 Cutlass to replace a broken V6. While it performs really well for a mildly modified 307, a 350 or 403 would have delivered more bang for the buck in the small block realm. For a 16 year old kid's first car it was plenty, but now I am wishing we had done something different. We used the better 307 intake and heads, but it still runs like a small smallblock. 15.10 in the 1/4 @ 90 mph with 4.11 gears. We can get it to jump hard at launch and run out of breath on the top end with the 4.11's or change gearing for more top end and lose out on the bottom end. While that is typical of any engine, the 307 magnifies the effect, where a 350 Olds would have more all the way around and be far more effecient.