75 LeSabre fasten seat belt light won't shut off

Guest Straight eight

Guest Straight eight

Can someone tell me where I can disconnect, or repair my "fasten seat belt" system? The buzzer shuts off, but the light on the dash stays on. I have put black tape over the light, but would really like to uplug the system or repair it if repair parts are available.

Cliff Herold BCA 2366

I suspect the system works off of a "ground" switch that is in the lower seat cushion and/or has some wires that use the seat belt buckle to see if the main seat belt (retractor side) is plugged into the buckle. Seems like there might be a "logic module" under the seat too. Each front seating location should have some sort of switch to determine if that seating position is occupied, with a switch in the seat cushion (which would require seat belt buckling to complete the circuit) that initiates things.

The buzzer probably has a timer built into it so that it turns off after a particular length of time. On my '77 Camaro, I unplugged the buzzer and left the light operational, but both of them are timer operated unlike the earlier systems that had the more involved switches and sensors as the big safety push back then was to get everyone to use the seat belts.

What you might do is check all of the wiring for chaffing, cuts, breaks, or shorts-to-ground that might not supply all of the correct signals to the module under the seat. I suspect that all GM vehicles with such a system that year all used similar systems, if not the exact same one.

Hope this helps,

NTX5467