Any ideas on old upholstery cleaning?

The interior of my 41 Super is in fairly good condition but dusty and dirty. Has anyone had good results with commefcial cleaning products for use on the door panels and Bedford Cord upholstery? Also, the headliner seems quite flimsy and I don't think wetting it would be a good idea because it would either create rust on the underside of the roof or bleed rust stains on the headliner. This must be tackled with a dry cleaning substance. Any ideas? Thanks.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I have had great success with a product called "Formula 2". It is manufactured by Perstige Products Corp. (PPC) and distributed<BR>by Protective Products in Chicago.<P>You can reach them by calling John Kozar, the area distributor at 773-637-8500 or 800-523-3493.<P>I have used this product whith much success on vinyl and leather. It works very very well, and does not destroy the materials you use it on.<P>It works better that Dow bathroom cleaner, and products like that, as it is safe, chemicaly and environmentaly safe as well, and designed for automobile usages. <P>It cleans and polishes and protects.<P>The conpany also has a full line of waterless car wash and car polishes as well.<P>Scott Mich BCA #6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

Scott: Thanks, I'll contact the company tomorrow. Have you had experience with this product (Formula 2) on cloth upholstery and non-vinyl/leather? Thanks. John

Peter, Does that method work on kick panels and the like or just fabric interior? A strange product to use, it's cheap too so am currious as to what all it is usuable on. :-)<P>Thanks!<P>-Scott<P>p.s. I've used Meguires(sp?) Vinyl Cleaner with pretty nice results, w/o the aftermath of other damaging products. Just to shoot another idea out there.

It should, I would try it on a spot that is not visible first though. Different materials have different composites. My wife now uses the brake cleaner on clothes before she washes them and has no adverse effects. You can'nt see where the stain was. My Dad used to work at a dry cleaning company years ago. All the employees from the oil company sent thier white shirts with oil stains to be dry cleaned. They looked new without a hint of a stain . I have'nt wrecked anything I've tried it on yet.<P>Peter de Jong

Try brake cleaner. It has the same chemical in it as some drycleaning solutions. It works great for taking out oil and grimey stains. Just spray it on lightly and use a scrub brush (lightly) and let it dry for an hour. It will turn the stain residue into powder which can then be vacumed. I have'nt used it on white but it works well on mid to dark colours.<P>pcdejong@uniserve.com

Thanks! I'll get brave this week and try it on the kick panel. You'd think a person would wipe up spilled soda instead of lettin it run down the dash to the floor. :/<P>-S

In the 60's when I worked for a GM Dealer we used ordinary kitchen detergent. About a cup full in a quart of water. Whip it up to just foam, brush the foam on, scrub and vacuum off. It certainly used to work.

Be very careful because you are trying to clean a 100% wool fabric on the seats and door panels. The headliner is I believe a brushed cotton fiber and if cleaned improperly both the seats and the headliner will change in appearance and you can never get back that look of the material. I have seen a 1940 special in broadcloth where the owner had removed the fabric from the seats and had it drycleaned professionally that turned out looking like new.Otherwise the only choice is to vacumn thoroughly and then use a product such as Renewzit drycleaner liquid and wipe with clean cloths to remove the soil.