Engine removal

Guest Taraschke

Guest Taraschke

I need some advice to pull my engine and dynaflow transmission in my 55 special. My question is do I try to pull the engine and<BR>transmission together or do I pull the transmission first or do I pull the engine first ?<P>Thanks<BR>Paul BCA#36263<BR>55 Special 43

I would pull them at the same time. That way you will have a lot less bolts to remove and you won't have to bother spliting them apart until they are out of the car.<P>Also, pulling the trans is very difficult without a transmission jack. You also need to get the car up pretty high so that you can slide it out from the bottom. So just pull it and install it with the engine to save the trouble.<p>[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: Tomsriv ]

Guest Skyking

Paul, remember if you pull the trans first, you'll have to slide the rear end back, which will be more work. Together they will be one heavy unit. It will be much easier to pull the engine first. It will be a shorter unit and you'll clear the front sheet metal easier without tipping it much......

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I agree with Tomsriv.<P>I pulled my engine & trans together out of my '55 Roadmaster. <P>Support the transmission and remove the cross member bolts, and then the crossmamber from the transmission.<P>Carefully lift the engine up and forward.<P>I did remove the radiator and grill, but left the hood on.<P>Yes, it is heavy.<P>Scott Mich BCA # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88