'96 Park Avenue front struts

I've only had the car for a couple of weeks - beautiful condition & runs like a champ. The ride seem a bit 'floaty', especially in front. I tried the bounce-on-the-bumper test, and it takes 2 or 3 bounces to return to stop, so wonder if the struts are worn out? Are they rebuildable? Any hints welcome. Thanks. [color:\\"green\\"]

Whether you replace them as a unit or put cartridges in them (which requires extra labor time to do), they will have to come off the car with the appropriate tools and then similarly take the spring off of the strut with appropriate tools in the holding fixture. Then when everything's put back together, a front end alignment will be necessary too.

When the struts are off of the car, inspect the upper mounts for wear or deterioration. Better to replace them now than have to pull things back apart to do it by itself later.

Not sure which brand of replacement struts might take the float out without being too stiff (or even if anybody builds a "stiff" strut for those Buicks back then). Might be that the replacement Delco struts could be a little firmer than stock too.

The stock base suspension was not the firmest thing around back then but the Grand Touring Suspension upgrade was a little bit stiffer. Usually, the stiffer suspension came with higher performance tires, stiffer springs, larger front and rear sway bars, but with the same struts. Goodyear Conquests were the stock tire and Goodyear Eagle RS/As were the tires for the upgrade suspension back then.

Hope this might help,

NTX5467

Thanks NTX -

Think maybe I'll keep my powder dry for the moment. I tried the bounce test again today, the way I'm told is correct - one hard push on the bumper with the knee. She returned to static after one rebound. As I said, I've only had the car for a couple of weeks and the maintenance by the former owner was outstanding - the car is clean as a whistle stem to stern, records in order, etc. Having dumped $2300 into my Lincoln Mk VII since July, mostly electronics (after 5 years of flawless running - the reason for the Buick) I'm not eager to go through the same thing again. I'm new to Buicks (well, we had a new 1939 sedan when I was a kid - used to play marbles on the back floor) so am still getting used to the differences in handling compared to Lincoln, Rolls-Royce, Chrysler etc. The PA is a pleasant car, and at my age (okay, another old man with a Buick!) the relative refinement and quiet are big pluses. The upshot is that I'm enjoying the car and am quite happy with it - I suppose that's what matters, isn't it? BTW, I find this a very friendly and helpful forum, but most motor car forums (fora?) are. I've been a Rolls-Royce fanatic for over half a century but reality and a fixed income have set in, so the Buick will do nicely. Thanks again.

Glad that you're happy with your Buick, regardless of your age!

To me, the bounce test might not really work as it used to in prior times. If the ride is comfortable for the way you drive and the roads you typically drive on, then things are probably fine as is. Buicks do have a different feel than many other cars, which might take a little getting used to. But, as in prior times, if the vehicle continues to move up and down after going through a dip or a strip of undulating roadway, then it might be time to consider new struts.

You might try upping the tire pressure a little, but not to exceed the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall, and see if that makes it feel firmer. From my own personal experience, adding two to three psi more to the front tires than what the rear tires have in them (still not exceeding the stated max pressure) can make a difference in the ride and steering response. Basically, it's making sure the tires are more evenly loaded, front to rear, for the air pressure in the tires. Something I've been doing for years, but proceed at your own risk.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Hello and welcome. As a owner of a 92 Park Avenue (same as 96) I can say that softness of the suspension is normal. Even when new- the larger buicks of the 1980s and 90s are supposed to have a "floaty" feel, but not to the point where the car cannot be kept safely in the roads. My cars front suspension is not that floaty, but is still very comfortable. I have seen several 90s LeSabres and Park Avenues, with leaping and bounding front suspensions. My rear suspension is quite soft however and it does some bouncing. I would imagine that your struts are fine. Good luck with your car.