'88 Chrysler 5th Ave Speedometer

Guest buick.nut

Guest buick.nut

I have a noisy speedometer. I have the front dash off and still cannot figure out how to get it out. Can anyone give me any further assistance? Are removal instructions in the body manual or what. They are not in the regular repair manual.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the instrument panel trim bezel off, the cluster should be ready to come off in your lap. On my '80 Newport, the cluster is held into the structure by plastic push pins. No screws. Just pull them out and push them back into the hole to put things back together. You'll still have to release the wiring and speedo cable to get everything completely released, though, but nothing unusual.

You should be able to access the cable only from under the dash, as always. Might need a new cable, but sometimes just some quality speedometer cable lube will work. With time, the plastic inner sheath of the cable will wear away exposing the wire mesh middle layer of the cable. When that happens, it can cause the cable to fray and then things can come to a screeeeeching halt immediately when the frayed cable and the inner sheath latch up. Might be better to get a whole new cable if you remove the cable from the housing and find any fraying or such on it. Cheaper in the long run too, time and money.

If the noise is from a worn bushing in the speedo head, it will sound like someone lightly scraping two metallic cups together as they brush against one another. Might cause a jumping needle too, accompanied by the noise, instead of a continuous type noise the cable would make.

Hope this helps,

NTX5467