57 mercury serial #'s??

I just got a 57 mercury montlcair with the turnpike crusier option that I am going to restore. can anyone tell me what the starting and ending serial numbers are for 1957 mine is 25000 and I am wondering if by a chance if they started with 25000??thanks mike

• 2 years later...

No,but I can tell you that the push button tranny has three speeds, not just the L and D. You'll find the second gear by pushing the Low button and leaving the car in that gear until about 40. Then push D and then immediately push L again. The car will stay in second until you push D again...around 85 to 90 mph.

Worked great for drag racing when I was in high school in the 60's. I had a 4-door montclair, pearl white with the TP 368, four barrel holley. Scratch in all three gears. Kansas Turnpike reminded me that 130 was not good.

If I remember... shift from L to D and back to L @ 50. Shift quickly back to L; shift back to D @ 85 mph and hang on. The acceration in 2nd was quite a rush. Scratch at 85 was pure joy. Watching the front of the car jump was absolutely mind-blowing. So was watching the face of the guy next to me in the 327 Impala while I left him far behind. Also 390 Fords. Stay even with 389 4 barrel GTO. Reason was that 2nd gear in the speed push button tranny. If you only drive the car in D, you won't find that 2nd gear, except as a passing gear.

Oh, by the way, as long as you are slower than 90, you could shift into second by hitting the L button and take off like shot. Again.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a 57 mercury montlcair with the turnpike crusier option that I am going to restore. can anyone tell me what the starting and ending serial numbers are for 1957 mine is 25000 and I am wondering if by a chance if they started with 25000??thanks mike </div></div>

Al Mercury series used the same sequence numbers - you cannot tell which series the car is by the serial number.

By assembly plant -

Wayne, MI : 57WA10001M to 57WA90490M

Metuchen, NJ : 57ME10001M to 57ME85895M

St.Louis, MO : 57SL10001M to 57SL98451M

LosAngekes, CA : 57LA10001M to 57LA50854M

By the way, the 1957 Turnpike Cruiser was not an option on the Montclair series. The Turnpike Cruiser was a series on its own. For 1958 the Turnpike Cruiser became models within the Montclair series.

The Turnpike Cruiser 2-door hardtop was model 65A, the 4-door hardtop 75A and the convertible model 76S. The equivalent Montclair model numbers were 63B, 57B and 76B.

Production in the U.S. -

2-door hardtop - 7,291

4-door hardtop - 8,305

2-door convertible - 1,265

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 13 years later...

But where can a car guy get info to break down the codes for the 57 Merc? I have been searching for days but cant find a reliable complete source to break down the data.

Serial #  57SL23789M

Style BAE57A

Body Spec 246-757A-17M-315