How is coil mounted on 40 Special?

Charles2

Thanks Jim. I wasn't real clear on my original post. My main concern is how the coil mounts to the bracket. There is a bracket that protrudes about 4" from the firewall that the aftermarket coil is hung from (with one bolt). The NOS coil I have does not have a mounting bracket so I need to figure out: a) do I need to get a NOS-type mounting bracket? (yes, I think); B) is the coil mounted vertically or horizontally? and; c) what holes in the firewall bracket are used? Any info will be much appreciated (so would potential source of NOS coil clamp bracket).

The coil is mounted horizontally ,which would make it perpendicular to the firewall. The armored cable should face to the drivers side, and fit into a clip on the firewall behind the engine. There is a rubber grommet in line with the manifold that the cable goes through to fasten to the ignition. The coil has a strap that holds it to the firewall bracket. it wraps around the coil and the bolt goes through the strap ,then the bracket, then through the strap again.

Hi Chuck

Sounds like you got an after market coil, or it would have had a bracket on it or one that would have came with coil.

Sending picture of Original 40-47 coil with bracket(bracket was welded to coil. You could probably make your own attaching bracket.

Jim Schilf

palbuick

Joe and Jim. I can see now how the coil is supposed to be installed. The coil I have is a Delco just like the one in the photo Jim sent but without the strap. I suspect that this coil was sold as a replacement for the entire GM line for the years they offered the armored ignition lead. Given a choice, I'd rather not have to make up a bracket but anything is better than the coil and mounting that came with the car (It does work though)! Thanks to both of you for your time and effort.