Star?

Hey all, on my fisher body plate for my 62 Buick Invicta

there is a star located inbetween the paint codes and the word

body. I have been told that this indacates a special order option

not feautered in the catolag. One thing that my car has is a trailor hitch.

To my it appears to be an original item but I am not sure. Hope to hear from

someone soon bye.

I suspect the trailer hitch would have been installed at the dealership instead of on the factory assembly line. Buick and other GM divisions had "approved" hitches available through their GM parts sources back then. I suspect it most likely would have been installed at the dealership prior to delivery to the customer if it was part of the original deal.

A special order would have been different than an order for a "stock" vehicle, although some dealers did and do special order vehicles for their dealership's stock. Otherwise, something "special" might have been a "non-approved" interior color with a particular outside color combination or possibly the addition of some fleet options to the regular production options on the vehicle. Maybe even the "export" compression ratio that was mentioned recently. I believe that when a sales order is or was submitted, it had a place to notate if the vehicle's order was for a particular customer (which might receive higher priority in the production scheduling) or was for dealership stock (which might receive lower priority in the production schedule). I suspect this might also be noted on the vehicle build sheet.

Just some thoughts on the order process. Not sure about the star, though.

NTX5467