455 2X4 or 3X2

I am building my first 455 big block was was looking for some information on the intake system, which was better,

the 3X2, or 2x4. I am leaning toward the 2X4 and cam set up to 6500 rpm's. The information I am finding is the the

oil pan is sucked dry at 5000 rpm's, and I am not the the cooling system can handle that many rpm's either,

any sugestions?

• 2 months later...

On the 455 at high rpm's it will pump all the oil up to the top faster than it can run back down. The old trick on jet boats with

this engine was to modify the oil pump to slow it down to not pump as much oil at high rpm's. If the engine is run above much

above 4000 for any period of time watch the oil pressure gage. If pressure starts to drop look out.

• 4 weeks later...

Why modify the oil pump? These motors already have a low pressure problem at idle as it is. This is why they make oil restrictors. for the mains or oil restricted cam bearings.

Oil restrictors are designed to keep oil on the crankshaft and cam bearings at high rpm instead of allowing it to the valvetrain area where it's not needed and cannot drain back to the pan quickly enough to prevent oil pump starvation. They have nothing to do with idle oil pressure unless bearing clearances are excessive, in which case you've got problems restrictors won't solve.