67 toro brake lights out

my brake lights dont work. lamps, fuse and brake switch are good. someone said it might be a problem in the turn signal switch. any suggestions?

Do the rear turn signals themselves work? And have you tested for voltage on both ends of the stop lamp fuse? How about corrosion on the stop lamp fuse clips? Do the dome lamps and tail lamps work (all those feed off the same bussbar in the fuse block)? How about loose clips in the turn signal connector at the base of the steering column (half-moon shape)?

If these all check out PM me a mailing address and I'll send you a color copy of the 1967 wiring diagram and some of the service info. There are 4 different switches listed for 67-8 depending on tilt, cornering lamps or no. There are also two different manufacturers, Delco and Boyne, and their switch housings on the column are not compatible with the other's design.

It's a long shot and shouldn't have anything to do with the brakelights, but check the turn signal flasher before you go tearing into the column.

I have had a problem where the contact in the bulb socket is depressed and the bulb wont make contact inside. An easy fix is to add some solder to the two rounded lead contacts on the bottom of the bulbs. This builds up these contacts so they will toch inside the lamp socket.

• 4 weeks later...

Turn signals work, tail lights work. Voltage is good, no corrosion. Dome lights status unknown - have replacements that haven't been installed yet, but cornering lights don't work, and I think that is in the same switch as well. I have the wiring diagram, and am pretty sure the directional switch is bad. Replacing it is the problem, as you said, it is very specific. I found some at USA Auto Supply, but not sure if they will work or not. I have a tilt/tele column and cornering lights. Tried to find a salvage one, but again, so specific don't want to get the wrong one, no one is sure if it will work. Want to find a way to circumvent the directional switch and get everything to work. Is this a dream?