Power Steering Leak

KAD36

Hi everyone<P>I embedded this question in another post on a different topic - thought I would re-start clean any maybe someone can latch onto it and share their experience.<P>I sprung a PS fluid leak in the Power Steering gear on my 55 Super. I just switched from Type A to Dexron III to GM Goodwrench Power Steering Fluid. The steering gear looks tough to R&R, so I'm looking for some inputs.<P>1) Although I am not a believer in Miracle in a Can products, I'll blink on this one. I figure its broke already, and I've checked the torque on all the connections. THe leak is intermittent and as best I can tell is coming from the flange between the steering gear and the power rack. It shoots up, hits the hood, and gets all over the engine I just wiped down! A fellow poster recommended RedLine PS fluid, but I can't find that anywhere. Any good power steering sealer products out there anyone has tried? <P>2) Anyone ever pull out the steering gear on a 55 or equivalent and get it rebuilt? I have a manual - tips and gotchas on the R&R and any recommended vintage PS power rack and steering box rebuilders appreciated. Or - can a DIY'er tackle it? <P>3) Any other ways out of this mess?<P><BR>thanks!<p>[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: KAD36 ]

Ken, you can find a Red Line dealer at <A HREF="http://www.redlineoil.com" TARGET=_blank>www.redlineoil.com</A> <BR>The Red Line stuff has the added bonus of being polyolester-based (PE), meaning it will slightly swell your seals, which is just the opposite of what polyalphaolefin (PAO) does. Over 90% of synthetic oils are PAO-based (inexpensive). Diester would also swell seals, I think Amsoil uses that stuff.

Thanks!- I checked the web site you posted and there isn't anyone too close to Syracuse. There was a dealer in Lindenhurst NY I'll give a call to. Maybe there is someone closer or I can work out a mail deal.<P>I took some of the old oil out of the steering gear box, replaced with fresh, and drove the car for about 30 miles. In going through the Buick shop manual and extracting some of the gear oil from the steering gear, I think those 2 rubber O-Ring seals in the power cylinder are seeping. The gear oil had some light red discoloration to it and the only way I can figure power steering fluid is coming up through that seam between the gear box and power cylinder is if it is getting past the o-ring on the piston in the power cylinder. I'm surmising when I turn the wheel after some seepage accumulates on the other side of the piston, it squirts up through the seam. So its find something to condition the seals or out that gear box and power rack come. Does that make sense?<P>A local parts dealer has a product made by Lucas Oil for sealing power steering units and swears by it. I'm skeptical. Looks like just a thickening agent to me. Anyone ever try or hear anything regarding Lucas Oil?<p>[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: KAD36 ]