Heat/Sound Insulation

WillBilly53

What's some good stuff to use for floors, inside doors, under the hood, etc.

i've heard of B-Quiet. which seemed really cool. JC Whitney has some stuff. and so Does Eastwood. What have you all had success with?

also. what's the proper way to treat the underside of the hood. do i paint it? then use some insulation?

thanks in advance!

I used old fashioned sprayed on (out of a can) undercoat with a little fiberglass on the doors and floors and inside 1/4 panels. Works great. Bob's and Cars have the correct underhood insulation and glue for same.

Guest Mr. Solutions

I too have given this some consideration... and although I've not used any of the products, the likes of B-quiet etc etc all do appear very fine examples. I have requested sample sheets of all the types on offer, and every one will do the job.

So for me it boils down to:

- which one do I like best

- how much do I want to spend; some of the sample prices can become very expensive very soon in large quantities.

- do I just want to block vibration, or do I want to insulate the car (heat/cold), as well as do I want to insulate for sound/stereos (see cost factor above)

Here is a thought for you (and everybody else):

The old stuff was / is like a very very thick tar paper. Why not use rubber mat & contact cement? Cut to shape / size & glue it in. Both items are readily available from any do-it-yourself chain, and both are cheap by comparison. Two things that come to mind immmediately as negatives are potential removal issues, and that rubber breaks down over time. What the time factor would be (5 v 20 years) for breakdown I wouldn't know.

Guest Skyking

Johan, the rubber you mention may give great sound proofing, but I think it might hold dampness. I've been thinking of using the foil insulation you see in street rods on my Met. I beleive it's sold in rolls. For the floors I 'll use lexonoite, (roofing tar)......