External difference between a late 248 and 263 engines

Guest Straight eight

Guest Straight eight

How can I identify a late 248 cu in engine as compared to a 263 cu in engine? The manifold has been removed. Under the manifold side of the engine is what looks like a plumbers pipe plug threaded into the block. It is not one of the freeze plugs, but on line with them, and the casting has a provision built into the block.

How I tell is by water pump. The 1949 & 1950 water pumps are completely different & 1950 was the last of the 248's. The '49s pumped the water into the block directly behind the pump whereas the 50's pumped into the left side via a water neck, so try looking for that or the hole location for the water jacket. By 1950, the 248s were only in the Specials, the Supers had the 263.<BR>Hope this helps wink.gif" border="0

You might measure the width of the push-rod cover,the 263 uses a narrower gasket there,also,were you to take the push-rod cover off,the 263 has a cast ridge coming up a bit from the bottom(less apt to leak oil)

Guest oldtimer

1952 was the last year for the 248 (1950 was the first year for the 263) and the last year for a str. 8 was 1953 (the 263). the special was a 248, the super was a 263 and the roadmaster was a 320. the 248 and 263 are the same block and acc., with out looking at part # its going to be real hard to tell the difference between the two.

I would doublecheck your sources of info--everything i have says that 1950 is the last 248, the 50-52 Supers and 51-53 Specials had the new 263 wink.gif" border="0

Guest Straight eight

Thanks for the help. This one is strange, the serial number has been hand stamped and has a "B" prefix. Having been located in Flint, could this have been a "B"uick factory trial engine? A replacement engine? Why a B prefix? The B is followed by six digits starting with a 1. Anyone have any ideas?

Guest Straight eight

Thanks to everyone who helped. The Grand prize must be split between Mr.Buick714, and The Old Guy. Between the two of them it was determined that the 263 tappet cover is 5 and 1/4 inches with a drain plug at the rear center of the pan. The 248 cover is 5 and 3/4 inches and has a drain plug on the right side half way back. nMr Buick gave me the idea, and The Old Guy furnished the measurments. Thanks again to all!!!!!!!! smile.gif" border="0