25 DB clutch questions

My '25 DB Business Sedan has a clutch beginning to make noise --- a jingling sound when accelerating in second gear. If you depress the clutch even slightly, the sound goes away. It can be heard slightly in first, but never in high. My thought was that it was the throw-out bearing. A mechanic friend thought if it was the throw-out bearing, you should hear it in all gears.

The car was a frame off restoration in 1963 done by my father-in-law. The running gear has not received work, nor needed it, since then. I doubt it has 3000 miles since then.

I'm interested in your thoughts and advice. Do you think it is the throw-out bearing? If it isn't, is there an external or internal adjustment for this?

I have a couple of manuals, but have no practical experience inside this transmission or clutch. The only time I saw the inside was in '63 when it went together.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I learn alot from forums such as this.

Regards,

Larry Pletcher

Larry:

The sound that you are hearing might possibly be coming from two things. Mind you this is a guess on my part because my 1923 did the same thing.

1. The anti-rattle springs in your clutch might be worn out and broken.

Remove floor boards and tin cover on bell housing and look at clutch.

These springs should be at the back of the clutch pack.

2. Check to see if the rear engine transmition mount is behind bell housing.

If it is between the bell housing and engine this will cause the clutch to vibrate front to back and be very annoying.

The rear engine transmition mount should be behind the bell housing.

RAI

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try to open it up tomorrow and see what's there. The car is pleasant to drive even though the steering feels heavy at low speeds. The ride is softer than either the model A or T. I think it would be a fine tour car, although I haven't taken it out on longer distances yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Larry Pletcher

• 2 weeks later...