Got my first store bought generator

old-tank

I've been driving 55 Buicks since 1962 and until now have never bought a new or rebuilt generator. All of those I have been using were either original or used (junk yard or parts cars)or "rebuilt" by me (new brushes bushings and bearings) but all of these are now 30 to 48 years old. I carry a spare genertor among other parts and so far that is the only part I have had to replace....yearly...on the road to or from a National. So I finally got tired of changing parts in motel parking lots or even on the show field (at the first National I attended in St. Louis I replaced the generator (and solved my problem) before the show with a dirty rusty unit and then put on the pretty but defective generator on for the show and then back to ugly one for the trip home).

Anyhow I stopped by the local starter/alternator shop and asked about generators and they said they could rebuild it: New brushes, bushing and bearing AND rotor (armature) and field coils. All parts were blasted the the body, pulley and fan was painted black and the alloy end pieces were left natural...and it does work!

This was a pleasant surprise and the $120 price seemed well worth it.

Willie

Joe, for all practical purposes the generators are the same. The parts book does list a different generator for air conditioned cars ( and a different armature for air conditioned cars). The air conditioned cars also have a 2 groove pulley. My low mileage original Century with facory air has the generator number for non air cars so go figure. I thinks that all replacement generators and parts after 1955 were equal or better than the those specified for air conditioned cars.

Willie