Cup holder problem solved. I think.

samakijoe

I spent a bit of time trying to find cup holders that would/might work.

I got these today and I installed them.. I'll add some black Gorilla tape and double

back tape to make it a little more reliable.  If you do use double back tape be sure to

allow for enough forward motion of the seats..  The Gorilla tape was used to secure the cup

to the long black piece. I only used the used the tape to only reinforce the attachment

point of the cup, not around the cup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB3131ZM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

Interesting choice. I've not saw those before.

I went the cheap route. I used a piece of 2x4 painted black and two of these drink holders from Amazon with the top hook cut off of them. The 2x4 is attached with one screw installed from inside the center console compartment. It worked well for years but not practical if you want to use the ashtray.

Amazon.com: wpOP59NE Car Drink Holder

cup holder.jpg

That arm rest has a different design then the 91.  On the 91 there is one cup holder at the front of the arm rest.

There are quite a few differences in the 91 compared to the earlier years.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the design team were having it "out" in 1989

concerning the 1991 build with the bean counters...I wonder which guy(s) in the room knew the end was near..

These cars were designed before the great "Cup Holder Count War" was started as SUVs came into vogue

(I once used the word "bean counters" in a meeting concerning cost of a new product with the usual reaction...🤣 

I never was never considered to be a team player back in the day....but I always had fun....👍)

There is a guy making use of the coin dispenser area out of wood but I think it would get in your elbows way.

PS: I sometimes go on more then necessary but as I type, things keep entering my brain.. So................

• Haha 1