Early High Wheeler and Questions.

Earlier today (yesterday?), forum member jeff a posted an interesting (at least to me?) photo on the "Period Photos" long thread. I think some comments needed to be made about it, and room for additional comments also. To that end, I am duplicating his post here so that I and others can make observations and comments.

Jeff's original posting.

An 1892 Blackie and a 1934 Delage at the 1934 Philadelphia Auto Show.  The man with the silver trophy owned both.

This was before trailering your car to a meet, and Passport Transport, so I bet both were driven to this Antique Auto Derby.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 3.13.22 PM.png

My comments.

I need to dig into some of my books for some facts and identifications.

In short, and to begin with. The high wheel car is identified as an "1892 Blackie". That identification is likely not correct, but how incorrect is it?

Black was an early experimenter, and did manufacture and sell high wheel automobiles for a few years under the "Black" name. Is this one of his cars?

The steering wheel is an indication of being somewhat later than 1892. However, how much later, and is the steering wheel original to this car?

Current best information credits the Duryea Brothers with building the first drivable gasoline powered automobile in America, in 1893. It is their 1893 automobile that is pictured on decades of the AACA logo. That first Duryea automobile was well recorded as being driven in 1893. Although the design was flawed, it served to prove that an automobile was possible here on this side of the "pond". The Duryea Brothers then reworked their designs, and built their much improved 1895 version, which in turn won the Chicago Times-Herald Thanksgiving day race in 1895. It was snowing, conditions were grueling, most entrants dropped out. Of the few that began the race, only the Duryea and the German Benz (driven by an American) completed the race, with the Duryea soundly beating the Benz.

However?

There were others working to be the first American gasoline powered internal combustion automobile. Among them? Was Black. Black had a strong claim! Also in 1893, it is very likely Black's first automobile was driven. Black often over the years claimed his first car was driven in 1892. However, best records indicate it wasn't until 1893, and most likely a couple months after the Duryea's first drive. Other better known names to claim being first included Haynes, Apperson, and King, all at some point claiming either 1892 or 1893. Builders and their families and historians fought over "who was first" literally for decades. The Duryea was a favorite early in the debates, however many historians had other favorites. Among the several claimants, believe it or not, it was Black that had one of the more solid claims. His first gasoline car almost certainly was driven within a couple months after the Duryea drive. Did he actually beat them? Maybe? We may never know for sure.

Do I believe the pictured car was Black's first car? Not a chance. But I need to dig out a book or two to get a better idea of what it is. Unless someone else can beat me to a proper identification. 

Might take me awhile.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 1