The European Loco-tour

Dear friends of our older touring cars,

With this topic I like to share my recent experience with my Locomobile. Two weeks ago I finished a special trip which I call the European Loco-tour.

You can find a few videos about the tour on youtube:

image.png.fbbafe8d16c37106cbcfb35a81de356a.png

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsG3Iblabr3L2JRUDACpc6DAXml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95HMahSqhVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOq2Mqy6Z8I&list=PLsG3Iblabr3L2JRUDACpc6DAXmln000Cz&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaR2z-u5oUc&list=PLsG3Iblabr3L2JRUDACpc6DAXmln000Cz&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRhbTExKhxA&list=PLsG3Iblabr3L2JRUDACpc6DAXmln000Cz&index=4

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The crazy idea for this trip was born in May 2023, when I invited my friends for a Sunday-afternoon-trip with the Locomobile to a local coffee bar.

image.jpeg.731626b8aab8bbbe94fdeb9958652405.jpeg

While sitting under the sunshade, enjoying coffee and cake while watching the Loco in front of the veranda, I suggested a tour to Italy in resemblance to the Harriet Fisher world-tour in 1909. To my surprise and delight, they agreed to join. We fixed the starting date to May 16th, 2024. One year for proper preparation sounds long but was necessary. I made a to-do-list for everyone. Later we met for the seat- and luggage-arrangement. Five adults with all related luggage in one car without a trunk can become tricky, you don't want to figure out solutions on the starting day.

Because I don’t like suitcases strapped to the running boards and scratching the paint, I manufactured the additional suitcase for the twin spare tires, see the other thread for that: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/396446-touring-equipment-for-your-locomobile-touring-car/

IMG_8755.JPG

• Like 1

The technical preparation and selection of tools and spare parts kept me quite busy. Again and again I got ideas for improvement, found better settings, adjusted and lubricated, cleaned, waxed and polished. The last item was a spare armature for the Berling magneto which I received a week before departure! I even invented a conversion kit for bypassing the magneto with a temporary battery ignition for the second set of plugs in case of repeated failures. I believe the saying “you always need what you don’t have on board”, therefore I used every little bit of space in the left and right tool boxes. Even soldering equipment and a vice which I can clamp to the running board fits inside! The original jack, cranking handle and wheel wrench are locked in their designated place. All other things had to be placed around: Oil, grease, puller, a spare valve and spring assembly, a spare float for the carburettor, several pullers, wooden blocks, …, a long list.

IMG_6864 zug.JPG

IMG_6881 kl.jpg

IMG_6890 kl.jpg

IMG_6903 kl.jpg

IMG_6908 zug.JPG

• Like 3

The organisation required contacting several officials, such as museum directors, road authorities, hotels and various offices in advance. For an easy introduction of our idea to the relevant people and friends, I prepared this flyer with the text in four different languages: German, French, Italian and English. Please try to imagine these two pages printed on both sides of a glossy paper, then folded twice. It turned out really nicely and impressed many people before and during the trip.

flyer IMG_1910.JPG

• Like 2

We planned visits to the famous Schlumpf Collection in Mulhouse (France), the biggest Italian car museum in Turin, the Rolls Royce Museum in Dornbirn (Austria), and several private collections. We wanted to stay in the most historic Hotels along the route and meet the horse-drawn Gotthard-coach on the way through the alps, too. All replied very positively after they received the flyer. Hotel receptionists even arranged safe parking locations for our Loco!

One week before the planned start date I contacted the Swiss road authorities. I wanted to make sure the old Gotthard pass had been opened after the winter closure. Unfortunately the reply was negative: They had stopped the road clearing because of too much new snow and many avalanches. Up to 8 m of snow on the St. Gotthard roads and a large landslide on the neighbour pass St. Bernadino!

IMG_4795 schnee.jpg

IMG_4776 schnee.jpg

KW16_Nord4.jpg

KW17_Hospiz3.jpg

KW19-Pass2.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think the easiest way of presenting this trip is day by day. Let’s start with DAY ONE.

My daughter arrived by train the night before, and we got up at 6:00 on July 18th, 2024. We picked up our friends Renate and Kurt in Bonn at 8:00. Shortly afterwards, when we arrived at Ulis home, our friend Joachim with his 1953 Mercedes-Benz 170S was already there.

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7168.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Now six people and two cars were complete, and we started our trip in south-west-direction through the Volcanic-Eifel-Mountains which is a region defined to a large extent by its volcanic geological history, some areas are still volcanically active today. We stopped at one of Kurt’s Friends who’s garages are filled with many antique motorcycles, some with sidecars, even a 1918 Indian Powerplus is there.

IMG_7179.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

VXSS5356.JPG

• Like 3

Half an hour later we continued towards Luxembourg. Here we filled the fuel tanks. Then we followed the Mosel river with its beautiful valley into France. Nancy was one of the cities mentioned by Ms. Fisher in her book. Instead of using the conventional paper map, we tried google maps with the setting “no highway” and “no toll roads”. As a result, we used mainly very small roads, narrow and hilly, only countryside, through little villages and lots of forest, always accelerating and braking in between many bicyclists and tractors with trailers and the normal rural traffic. We hit the harvesting season. To our big surprise we found: The French maintain their roads (even these secondary roads!) very well and keep them nearly everywhere in good condition!

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_7231.JPG

IMG_7218.JPG

20240718_194050.jpg

• Like 3

In the late afternoon we reached the Vosges, which is a low mountain range in France with the highest elevation of 1424 m. Some hairpin-turns gave us a first impression of the coming days. At 8:00 pm we arrived at the hotel in Thann (close to Mulhouse), where our friends Doris and Peter were waiting for us already. They came from Marbach/Neckar (app. 180 miles) in their 1954 Citroen 11CV Traction Avant Legere. Now the group had grown to eight and we had a lot to talk about during dinner!

20240719_090412 3 in thann vor hotel.jpg

IMG_5347.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This first day was the test for the Locomobile and the passengers: more than 320 miles during 12 hours on demanding roads with only a few short stops (in total perhaps 2 hours?) should reveal any weakness. But the Loco behaved perfectly, no oil, grease, water or air had to be added, and the complaints from my passengers were still acceptable. They all said that my daughter drives much more smoothly and comfortably than I do. After the first few beers, they started enjoying the tour, I just had to promise less miles for the next few days.

From the technical point of view, I can report: At an ambient temperature of approximately 30 °C (86°F), the engine cooling is no issue, but everything behind becomes really hot. For example the gear shift lever and the instruments. A water bottle standing on the front right floorboards became so hot, it felt like drinking tea. I think I will install a heat shield behind the exhaust downpipe (same as the 1924 model had), and I left the false dash at home because I didn't trust the electrics yet. Must put it back in place after the tour, it will protect the instruments. Wheel bearings and tires are all at normal temperatures. Brake bands are becoming quite hot when used hard but they still remain very effective. I will report more after descending the Gotthard pass.

• Like 5

DAY TWO started with one of the tour’s highlights: we visited the Mulhouse Auto Museum (Musée National de l'Automobile) which has a really famous history: The National Automobile Museum houses one of the most beautiful automobile collections in the world with more than 450 exceptional cars. Their focus is on Bugatti. Founders were two brothers Hans and Fritz Schlumpf, textile industrialists who started hunting for antique cars in the 1950s, after having raced a Bugatti before. The collecting virus took over, they bought amazing treasures all over the world, sometimes a complete train load! In 1957, the Schlumpf Brothers bought an old wool mill where they installed their entire collection in a professional way, they even illuminated the lanes with original cast iron lamps from Paris. They had planned to open their collection to the public, but in 1976 they went bankrupt, the laid-off workers discovered the secret collection, and the affair came to light. The brothers flew to Switzerland. Before the collection was sold, the French government interfered. In 1982 it was opened as the "National Automobile Museum".

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_5530.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On the way from the hotel to the museum, we filled fuel. Just now when sorting out the photos I realize the strange proportions between our giant Kurt, the Locomobile and other cars. By the way, Renate and Kurt had prepared T-shirts for our Loco-tour, which we used for this occasion.

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

IMG_5494.jpg

IMG_7294.JPG

IMG_5609.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Our Friends Peter and Juerg were already waiting for us at the entrance. They came with their 1925 Buick Master Six Sport Touring from the northern border of Switzerland. For the next one and a half days our group consisted of ten people and four cars.

The Loco-tour had been invited, so we had safe parking inside the yard, and the staff took good care of us. For the short drive from the meeting point to their yard, the director's assistant, the press lady and the photographer got a lift from Juerg and Peter in the Buick.

IMG_7301.jpg

IMG_7302.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG

IMG_7311.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I will not add my countless photos of all these great cars but just a few. You can find a lot of information online, or you come here yourself, it is absolutely fascinating. 

After your visit at this museum, you must think that Bugattis are mass-produced cars, a real commodity, because there are so many of them here, in all kinds of colours and shapes!

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_7339.JPG

IMG_7541.JPG

IMG_7389.JPG

P1010323.JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

A brand which impresses me more than others is Farman. This French manufacturer with British roots built airplanes and cars, some really exceptional designs. I learned from a book that they created some fast cars with aerodynamic bodies, and the chassis details were non-standard, too. Special suspension, an incredibly complicated steering linkage and four large brakes with servo-assistance in the early 20s! The museum displays even two and a half of these rare beasts: one 1923 Coupe Chauffeur A6B and one 1928 Limousine NF (New Farman), plus one complete engine with transmission.

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7351.JPG

IMG_7354.JPG

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7365.JPG

IMG_7367.JPG

IMG_7370.JPG

IMG_7371.JPG

buch 1.JPG

buch 2.JPG

buch 3.JPG

• Like 2

After this impressive visit Juerg and Peter with the Buick led us to our hotel in Gipf (Switzerland), theoretically just 50 miles. But Friday afternoon, rush hour, very hot and crowded, twice we were diverted to the highway, traffic was just terrible around Basel. The Mercedes started overheating, needed a rest. Finally we reached our destination, had a nice dinner, afterwards we were invited to see Juerg's private museum, a real treasure cave: Very well presented with cars, a 1920s caravan (usually pulled by the Buick), motorbikes, scooters, a real race car, bicycles, toys, belt driven drill- and lathe machines, and so much more.

The Loco statistics for day two: 69.5 miles, easy.

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5753.jpg

IMG_7599.JPG

20240719_210621.jpg

20240719_210808.jpg

• Like 4

DAY THREE started with a good breakfast in Hotel Adler. Before leaving the hotel, the owners removed all modern cars and signs and asked us to take a nice photo there, which they will use for advertisement. Actually this photo also found its way into the local newspaper a few days later!

0 IMG_7972.JPG

zeitung 0.jpg

• Like 2

We were surprised to see a nice boat next to the restaurant: The "URI" was built before the second world war as a petrol-boat with two guns, retired in the 80s, restored several years ago and now a pleasure to look at and to listen to its large Palmer 300HP-V8 marine gasoline engine. The hull is made of aluminium, the deck is mahagoni.

IMG_8001.JPG

IMG_6417.jpg

uri2.jpg

uri3.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

In the afternoon we followed the scenic route called "Axenstrasse" towards the mountains. Ms. Harriet Fisher had taken the same route. Next stop was at Ingenbohl where Ms. Fisher stayed overnight.  We just stopped here to take some pictures, including Miss Fisher's beloved Boston bull terrier "Honk-Honk", in our case as a photo on a pillow. The second dog "Jappy", who joined the Fisher entourage in Japan, sat in our Locomobile as a mascot on the front left windscreen frame. The last photo shows the original Honk-Honk.

IMG_6992.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_7027.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

0 IMG_7045.jpg

0 IMG_8014.JPG

IMG_7018b.jpg

z dog.jpeg

• Like 5

A bit later we reached the monument of Wilhelm Tell in Altdorf, a famous place, and once again we had to take photos with the dog as a reminder of the Fisher-tour. We had to hurry, because parking in front of the statue is not allowed. When the first of our group saw the police approaching, we quickly disappeared just in time.

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_8043.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Now the road climbed steadily to Amsteg, where we had booked rooms in the historic hotel "Stern-Post". It was firstly mentioned in 1357. In the middle of the 18th century it was the main station for the famous "Gotthard-coach" pulled by five strong horses, which sent passengers and mail over the Gotthard-pass. Since 1882, when the Gotthard-tunnel was opened, this regular coach-service was not required anymore. The old horse stables are used as bus-garage today, and I was allowed to park the Locomobile inside, which was a nice and fitting gesture. 

The famous German polymath and writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe stayed in this hotel at least three times!

IMG_8714.JPG

z IMG_8737.JPG

09-Treschstube.jpg

IMG_7252.jpg

IMG_8744.JPG

• Like 6

What a wonderful trip and thank you for inviting me to see where you have gone.  I am so envious!  I think you should take your next trip here in the U.S. and we could all go.  Thanks again for the post and all of your past help.

Greg Lundeen

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

DAY FOUR started with a delicious breakfast at our beautiful historical hotel in andermatt, at a height of 528 m (a bit more than 1700 feet) above sea level. It was raining when we loaded the cars, but we didn't care and believed the hotel owner's experience: The weather in the mountains can change very quickly. And really, after less than half an hour driving we met beautiful sunshine and this raised the chilly temperatures immediately.

We drove on the small old road and passed the villages Wassen and Göschenen, all of which are in the Swiss canton of Uri . On several occasions we could see the modern main road with its daily traffic jams. As you can see on the next photos, traffic jams were already available at the time!

2 IMG_7710.jpg

4 IMG_7767.jpg

5 20240721_095233 gotthardkurven.jpg

IMG_8792.JPG

IMG_8793.JPG

IMG_8794.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Enclosed by sheer granite walls, its road and railway require several spectacular bridges and tunnels. The most famous is the stone bridge known as the Teufelsbrücke ("Devil's Bridge"). A difficult footpath was the only passage through this gorge by the mid-12th century. The gorge was first opened up as a bridle path with the construction of a wooden bridge in ca. 1230. This was of great strategic importance because it opened the Gotthard Pass, with historical consequences both regionally and to the Italian politics of the Holy Roman Empire.
The original bridle path across Schöllenen was realised by means of a wooden ledge attached to the rock wall, and a wooden bridge across the gorge. After its collapse in the 18th century, it was supported by hanging chains.
In later years a legend developed which attributed the construction of the bridge to the Devil. The name "Devil's Bridge" was first recorded in 1587. The legend said: the people of Uri recruited the Devil for the difficult task of building the bridge. The Devil requested to receive the first thing to pass the bridge in exchange for his help. To trick the Devil, who expected to receive the soul of the first man to pass the bridge, the people of Uri sent across a goat, and the goat was promptly torn to pieces by the Devil. Enraged at having been tricked the Devil went to fetch a large rock to smash the bridge, but, carrying the rock back to the bridge, he came across a holy man who "scolded him" and forced him to drop the rock, which can still be seen on the path below Göschenen.

(the photo is from the internet. We didn't visit this rock)

teufelsstein 2020-02-25.png

• Like 1

In 1595, the wooden bridge was replaced by a stone bridge which came to be known as Devil's Bridge. A new road, including a tunnel with a length 200 ft replacing the bridge was finished in 1708. The tunnel, known as Uri Hole, was the first road-tunnel to be built in the Alps. A replacement cut stone bridge was built from 1820 till 1830. This new bridge allowed single-lane motorized traffic, potentially opening the Gotthard Pass to automobiles. Following its construction, the old Devil’s bridge was no longer maintained and was allowed to collapse, which finally happened in 1888.

IMG_E8759.JPG

At the time Miss Fisher travelled on this road, the horse-drawn coaches were the typical vehicles, as shown in the first old photo. In the late 1940s, when automobile traffic was already well established, the spot looked like shown on the second old photos: The building in the center of the turn is today's souvenir shop!

IMG_E8778.JPG

IMG_E8780.JPG

In September 1799, the devil's bridge became one of the sites of the battles at the Saint-Gotthard, and one of the most dramatic battles of Suvorov's Italian and Swiss expedition during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. We saw one painting on the wall of the souvenier shop which is located at this spot, where the tourists can visit the old bridge and beautiful scenery.

10 20240721_100743.jpg

• Like 1