Convertible top frame colors...

Guest Andynator

Guest Andynator

Easy enough question, I hope. Knowing that there are only two correct fabric colors - black and tan - what color should the

framework be? Match the fabric, body color, what?

Currently tan top - tan frame. Thinking of switching to black when I have the top re-done.

Talked to my neighbor John Westfall - he said to just have the whole thing chromed. LOL.

Andy

49 Super convertible "Gracie"

I'd vote for semi-gloss satin black. Like the air cleaners and such were painted. GM Gloss Engine Black matches those things perfectly (from what I've seen and used of it) and is less expensive than chrome. I suspect that even if the top frame matched the top fabric color, the level of gloss should still be in the semi-gloss satin range instead of having a hard shine as the outer body panels would have.

Just my gut reaction . . . from what I've seen GM and others do over the years at the factory level versus what some restorers do to "make it better". Of course, it all depends on what your goals for the vehicle are and how much funding is available. Wouldn't cost much more to chrome everything instead of just a few of the pieces that will show, though.

Perhaps some solid documenation exists on this subject?

Enjoy!

NTX5467