Interior

I have a 70 Cutlass convertible someone tried to paint the seat backs and the kick plates.Now the paint is pealing off anyone have any success painting any of these parts. They are in good shape but wrong color.

Thanks

• 3 years later...

With the increased use of plastic parts in automobiles, the major paint suppliers have significantly increased the quality and variety of their plastic paints. Unfortunately, many people still use the cheesy interior paints sold at Pep Boys and similar stores.

As noted above, parts need to be absolutely clean prior to painting. More importantly, each type of plastic (vinyl, PVC, ABS, etc) requires a specific type of paint and preparation. Also, most types of plastic require a specific etching coat prior to any paint application. Dupont, for example, has an on-line data book available that describes their paint products and the appropriate uses and application processes. When done correctly, the paint will not peel.

Guest copper128

If properly cleaned and prepped and the correct materials used, there should be no issues with painting plastic parts. My bucket seat backs and sides were painted at a local bodyshop. They had me scrub them thoroughly with hot water and strong detergent then clean them again using glass cleaner and lint free paper towels. They sprayed them with a PPG plastic adhesion promoter and let it dry for a specified time before shooting the color (a PPG base coat). 3 years later and still like new.