North East Type 6390 Generator

I am in dire need of a North East Type 6390 generator for my 1928 DB Senior. The armature has burned out of mine. If anyone has one for sale, I am in desperate need of one. It is, of course, 6v positive ground

• 2 weeks later...

I  just finished restoring my spare. Unfortunately the pictures on my old Olympus  camera  is not uploading . One end of the field is connected through a 6 amp fuse at the brush end and the other is end is attached to the frame . This  end is insulated . The insulated washer has broken down causing the field to ground to the frame , causing a continue voltage of 18 volts for a , may be 10 or more minutes. That will fry the armature. Had you noticed it on time and turn  off the engine it would had been  different. I had a similar  problem . I learned the hard way.

The front frame cap is probably all cracked up pot metal and needs replacing. Recast is available from   " The Vintage And Classic Reproduction" in Australia for around 150 AUS. It will be necessary to remove the bushing at the drive end of the shaft.

My original was restored by  AER . It may be better to have the  complete unit done by Jason @ 866 228 0218, 517 345 7272 .For my spare  Jason rewired the armature  and I did the rest.   

Cheers mate, if you need my help you may message me.

Thanks for the info, I don't think mine went quite that badly but it does need rewiring and, I am sure, new bearings. I don't see any cracks in the pot metal of the generator but you never know. It had a lot of bad pot metal disease in the other parts when I put the car together. The previous owner had taken it apart to restore it and then lost interest. It sat for35 years in parts in an unheated building. I brought it home in several trailer loads.

I was hoping to find a useable one so I could take the car on a couple tours this summer since rebuilding will take a while.

If you get Jason to rewind the armature you may be able to do the rest yourself. Remove the field coil and replace the insulating tape. Drill  the screws holding the magnet. The problem is by the time you buy the materials and finish the rewinding you will have left over materials. Magnet wires are expensive. What are you going to do with the left overs ? 

My DB Senior is a 4 door sedan. I was in the process of doing a cosmetic when the driver side door dropped because part of the front wooden  sill was eaten by weevils. It was a good thing in a sense. I took the body apart completely. Every piece of metal was acid dipped and treated. The wooden part was challenging. Inside of the sheet metal was not painted at the factory and there were lots of surface rust. Always save every piece of old part until the project is completed.

I am looking for a spare rim  4 and a 1/4 inch wide (tyre size 600/650x19)   wood spokes.  I would like to see  pictures of the project.

Cheers.

Harry.

I did not have to take mine apart since I bought it apart. I did rapidly learn though that it is harder to put one together that you did not take apart. The guy had also had a 1928 four cylinder and there were some parts from that mixed in which added to the puzzle. I may have a lead on s good armature which would be a big help.

I don't have any spare rims