41 Buick Convertible top

Members, you are all helping to fill in the missing info in the "Official Shop Manual", and I thank you all for sharing your time and expertise.    Hopefully some member(s) can fill in the blanks about the vacuum system for the top. 

In the Tx. Hill Country, I am some distance from the nearest parts store that can provide anything that is specific to this 41 Super. I am getting ready to tackle a few projects on the 1941 Buick Super today & would like to have parts on hand before I start.

Convertible top:  I'd like to buy replacement vacuum hoses before I start taking it apart.  With the top down manually, upon starting the vehicle the top starts to rise quite slowly. There is no pressure or vacuum on the switch lower & left of steering wheel.  Can someone tell me the lenght, ID & strenght ("heavy duty" isn't very specific) of hoses needed to replace all the Top's vacuum lines and is there a rebuild kit for the switch?

Thanks!

Ken

There is no rebuild kit for the valve.  Test it by blocking the two ports leading to the cylinders and apply a vacuum to the remaining port that pulls vacuum from the engine.  The lines are 3/8 steel.  If you check my rebuild, see in signature below, I show some of the work I did bending and installing new lines.  You may need to rebuild the vacuum cylinders with new leather seals.  Try 100% neatsfoot oil, not the kind that's advertised for shoes as it has petroleum distillates that will gum up over time.  PM me with specific questions, happy to help on this one.

• Like 3